1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

performace mods!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:22 PM
midnightdurango
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performace mods!!

As some of you know I got a 1999 dodge durango with a brand new 5.2 motor i am looking to get some bolt on upgrades now i would like to get a new stuff i have search and cant get any websites that carry stuff heres my list

Fuel rail/injectors
intake manifold
thorrtle body/spacer
intake short or cold air
headers

Where do people with this motor get tune at in NJ, or is there tunning?

Old 12-21-2010, 02:40 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ok here ya go, even tho some of this is repeated from your other thread

fuel rail and injectors: leave em stock unless building in excess of 500hp

intake manifold: indy or hydra will have recommendations on this one, im not sure whats out there for the 5.x series

throttle body: go talk to dan the fastman, he will hook you up
throttle body spacer: they make very nice (expensive too) paperweights, dont waste your money

intake: you could go home brew for true cold air, or any name brand short ram air intake should do fine

headers: once again, until you make 500hp they wont do you much good

tuning: your best bet is to get a superchips or hypertech programmer, of you have to send it out to a place like B&G for a professional flash

also, where in NJ are you???

Old 12-21-2010, 03:21 PM
midnightdurango
Amateur

hightstown nj 08520 by 10 mins from english town the thing is that my fuel rail looks rusted like hell my injectors prop not working 100% so i want to know should i replace them the oem of where should i get another fuel n injectors n for the manifolds is there any websites?

btw im still having **** poor gas miliage if ur buy me i need helppp!!

Last edited by midnightdurango; 12-21-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:44 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

im in northern nj, near wayne so e-town is a little bit far from me (besides im still at school taking finals at this point)

Old 12-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Biff85ta
Professional

Really? Headers are useless if you don't want have more than 500 horses? I really doubt that. I am pretty sure the stock injectors will not be good for 500 but the stock rail may go that high. As far as tuning goes does anyone sell a program to reflash and tune the PCM yourself? If you really want a perfect tune you either have to do it yourself or buck up for someone with a dyno to do it for you mail order or handhelds will not cut it.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:49 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Wow Biff you really like to disagree. Also, check again but shrp didn't say headers would be useless, he said they just wouldn't do much good. Typically, from what I've heard in the shop, our OEM fuel injectors are good up until around the 400 or 460 range, close enough to 500 which shrp said I would say.

Also, many people on here have used the B&G programming where you send it in and they do a complete re-flash and the success rate is high! Sure you might need a dyno and programming software to get the very more precise tune there is, but B&G does a damn near perfect job.

Also, he was asking about different ideas. Shrp simply gave him his information he has on these ways to program your vehicle for performance. I personally have a SuperChips programmer and it is great because it's got a great performance mode, but what I like about it is I can set it to economy and it will bring my mpg average up to about 15 on highway!

Old 12-22-2010, 01:10 AM
Biff85ta
Professional

Those little things add up. It has been my experience that there is not that much reserve in OEM injector sizing but I have been wrong before. If all he is really after is performance a blower is probably his best bet that won't ruin the usefulness of the truckin that it would not move the powerband so high up so as to require a huge stall to take adavantage of it.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:16 AM
Biff85ta
Professional

Oh and something else to add. Get your junk right before mods not after. The problems you are chasing now could get a lot harder to chase when you change whole bunch of other stuff. If it is not right when you start throwing mods on it most likely it will still not be right after the mods.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:58 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

yes that is correct whitwidow, i said that they wont give you MUCH gains, as in few enough gains that it is not worth the money at this point inthe build, wait until you have some significant work done before doing those upgrades and you will appreciate them a whole lot.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Biff85ta
Professional

No performance mod is ever really worth the money. An extra couple of horses from a set of headers and a good free flowing exhaust can make all the difference in the world to some people.

He has a list that would cost several thousand dollars and add at the most about 50 horses. He could spend the same amount of money on a 360 swap and have more power and more power potential.

Quick Reply: performace mods!!