1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 4.7 SLT//Alternator-PCM-over charge

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 AM
eelsfoot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grounds all looked good. Any idea's for my next culprit to look at??

Old 01-10-2011, 01:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Got to be a bad alternator again!

As soon as I put the vehicle in gear to drive away, the interior gauge climbs to Full High. Reading at the battery posts is 18.9v

Inside of the alternator is a regulator, that regulator isn't stoping the over production of volts when AC is convered to DC current (which is about 18-19 volts becuase of the amperage). You ensured this by measuring the voltage at the battery with a second tester and had the same results during the problematic occurance. Over production is a alternator issue, the PCM only tells the rectifier bridge to turn on and the alternator produces DC current. There are usually 4 ways a alternator goes out;

1. Bearings
2. Brushes and that leads to low or no voltage
3. Over production
4. A bad battery or arching of wires/connections

Also you can check the other ends of the battery cables at the lugs and ensure that (for instance) the ground to block is clean and tight.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 01-10-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:19 PM
eelsfoot

Alright....I'm on alternator number 3 now. Same results each time: voltmeter starts off dead center, then slowly climbs to high range, then snaps over fully right into the red. Reads 18+ volts at battery.

WTH??

Old 01-27-2011, 06:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

If you have went out and tested 18 volts at the battery when the gauge states 18+ volts then you have nailed it down to overage output. At this point I don't know what to tell you. It makes absolutely NO sense. Take it in to a shop at this point.

Please update us when you get this fixed.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:09 PM
eelsfoot

Alright.....finally, FINALLY, got it sorted. And in the process I believe I stumbled across the best Mobile Maintenance guys out there.

Turned out the culprit for all the overcharging issues I was having was a short of some sort happening in the harness.

After an hour of taking voltage readings across everything known to man under the hood, and nothing making any sense, we discovered that the voltage change going to the alternator plug (green wire) would increase when a section of the harness was moved.

An hour later, the overlay wire was spliced in....going from the back of the alternator plug over to the corresponding pin on the PCM.

Maybe not the optimum solution, but it's now fixed and back on the road.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:10 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I bet you had a pretty nice light show at night with the lights out under the hood! LOL

Old 12-18-2011, 05:02 PM
mshean1@hotmail.com
Default overcharging dodge

Originally Posted by eelsfoot
Alright.....finally, FINALLY, got it sorted. And in the process I believe I stumbled across the best Mobile Maintenance guys out there.

Turned out the culprit for all the overcharging issues I was having was a short of some sort happening in the harness.

After an hour of taking voltage readings across everything known to man under the hood, and nothing making any sense, we discovered that the voltage change going to the alternator plug (green wire) would increase when a section of the harness was moved.

An hour later, the overlay wire was spliced in....going from the back of the alternator plug over to the corresponding pin on the PCM.

Maybe not the optimum solution, but it's now fixed and back on the road.
can you tell me what pin # on the pcm

Old 12-18-2011, 08:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

This also could be a bad battery sensor issue, which is a sensor located under the battery and controls voltage that the alternator outputs. I would just replace it as well.

Quick Reply: 2001 4.7 SLT//Alternator-PCM-over charge