1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transfer Case Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 11:50 AM
jazzcat280
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Conundrum

Hey all, I'm wanting to make sure I've got my ducks in a row for a project I'm working on. I recently sold my pickup and bought a van for the family. This means that the 2001 Durango is now mine. I'm hoping to convert the Durango to a competent off-road vehicle that I can take my boys up in during the summer. Here is the issue: This particular Durango only has 4 wheel drive high. I really feel that to off road safely, you need 4 low. Fortunately (or unfortunately) the Transfer Case Control Module has recently gone out. I have a new-used one in the mail. I have also ordered a used in dash switch that has 2H-4H-4L and neutral. I've been to the local pull and pay, and they have a 01 Durango that has a transfer case that they will sell for $70. It is the NV 233. The current transfer case is a 133, and I know that there is also a 244. So, my questions are these:

1. Is it possible to add a low range by swapping out the switch, TCCM, and transfer case? It looks to me that even though my current switch only has 4H, all the same wires are on the pig-tail going to and from the TCCM
2. Which transfer case is the one I should get? I believe it is the 233, (is it the 244 that also has the 'all-wheel' setting?). I'm not sure because the switches are all gone from the bone yards I've been to.
3. Has anyone done something like this before?

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:11 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1. No. You can't just add a switch and magically have different gear range case. Also the TCCM is flashed with your setup, not a different one. The fact of the matter is all the T-cases came with a low range, so I really don't know what you are talking about???????

2. First of all you didn't state what you have, like year, motor, and 4x4 or R/T model, however it sounds like if the Durango only came in a 4X4 version then you must have an R/T model which is the 244 case which is a AWD?

3. I know a thing or 2 about the transfer cases, however I have not installed the particular cases or just swapped them for no reason just to see what fits and what doesn't, however there are a few variations that by mechanics cannot fit.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:57 AM
jazzcat280

Hydra, thanks for the reply. Tried to post a reply but I think it got timed out. The Durango is a 2001, 4.7 with 127k miles. The transfer case is an NV133, and the switch only has 2H-4H on it (I tried to attach a picture).

Here is another thread about the transfer case (so you don't think I'm crazy): https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...fo-needed.html

I have done a lot of off-roading in the past, I had a 79' renegade that I rebuilt and used to play with. It had a transfer case that didn't have a low range either, and I ended up replacing it. It didn't have the electronics involved, so thus my reason for posting this thread. I had to sell the jeep because it wasn't kid friendly, and that is what I'm hoping the Durango can be for my boys and I. It does alright (when the 4x4 is working), mainly because it has good low end torque. Not having a low range just makes it so you end up doing things faster then you should sometimes, and you bang around more.

In this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...tion-tccm.html

Many people have swapped the TCCM without flashing them, so I thought it may be possible to do the transfer case and dash-switch without getting too technical. Doesn't sound like you think it would work though.

sorry if this double posts.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:27 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if you change the t-case, and the switch and the TCCM, i think it would work, however download the factory service manual and check the wiring diagrams to see if there are any major differences between them.

i think hydra is a little confused, its probablys jack's fault.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:18 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

SOB.......I just learned something new!

TRANSFER CASE - NV133
DESCRIPTION
The NV133 is an electronically controlled part-time
transfer case.
The geartrain is mounted in two aluminum case
halves attached with bolts. The mainshaft front and
rear bearings are mounted in aluminum retainer
housings bolted to the case halves.
OPERATING RANGES
Transfer case operating ranges are:
² 2WD (2-wheel drive)
² 4HI (4-wheel drive)
The 2WD range is for use on any road surface at
any time.
The 4HI range is for off road use only. It is not for
use on hard surface roads. The only exception being
when the road surface is wet or slippery or covered
by ice and snow.

So with that said, yes my friend Jack and Coke came to see me last night (thinks for mentioning that Sharps). Anyway you could try the NV233 as it does have a Low, however I'm pretty sure the NV244 AWD case will not fit. Just go get one and try it out, besides it's pretty easy to drop the T-case anyway. It might just work without changing or flashing out the TCCM?

Old 12-18-2011, 07:47 PM
jazzcat280

Thanks for the comments, that was my thought. I can get a used 233 for about 70 bones, and the one I saw at the yard didn't have anything else attached to it (so easy to drop). Honestly, the 233 looked identical, so I don't think it would be a fit issue. I'll check the wiring, make sure it lines up. Question is, do I drop the cash on a rebuild for the 233, not knowing if this scheme will work? It would be a pain to do it twice......

Old 12-18-2011, 08:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

It's easy to rebuild the case, but I would ensure it is functional in your rig without dropping the extra cash. It's very easy to drop it out and rebuild after installation.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:02 PM
jazzcat280

Thanks Hydra, enjoy your Jack and coke... I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Conundrum