1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

00 5.9 Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 04:02 AM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as cleaning the fuel system goes, the premium gas might help, it might not, I really just don't know. Don't really care, either. My approach for that is to just run a can of Sea Foam through with a full tank about every six months.

I've never been a big fan of additives, I think at least 75% of them are scams, but I'm a big believer in Sea Foam. I've seen it do some amazing things.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sure all 2000 R/T's requires premium fuel as it is the first year the R/T model was offered for the Durango, thus all the 2000 models will have the factory modded pcm to use the agressive tune programming.

Starting 2001-2003, The R/T's premium fuel requirement started to vary. Some requires premium, some did not. Must be geograhical location wise that governs which random R/T got the premium fuel on the 2001-2003 models. Only way to know is to check your user's manual and look for the premium fuel required sticker located at your fuel door panel.

Otherwise, all regular non R/T durangos uses regular fuel.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by coreybv
I've never been a big fan of additives, I think at least 75% of them are scams, but I'm a big believer in Sea Foam. I've seen it do some amazing things.
Right with ya on that one! I HATE all the additives! However if there is one I somewhat like, well that's Seafoam.

All additives are un-regulated just like Herbs! They can put whatever they want in that crap and sell it to you for a premium price.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:44 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

additives are the modern day equivalent of snake oil (not sure if there is any difference besides the name) so i would stay away from them, as hydra said, seafoam is about the only one that i ahve ever seen give any type of results

Old 01-02-2011, 01:13 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Right with ya on that one! I HATE all the additives! However if there is one I somewhat like, well that's Seafoam.
Quick little story about how Seafoam caused me to reconsider my "all additives are a joke" policy:

Me and a buddy were taking his boat out for the day. After about 20 minutes the engine died and wouldn't start. Finally figured out it was water in the gas and swapped the water separating fuel filter. Ran great for 10 minutes before that one was at capacity and the engine died again.

Dumped in a can of Seafoam just hoping it might help enough to get back to shore. Not only got back to shore, but it was running so well we headed back out on the water. Boat ran like a top the rest of the day.

Also works great for cleaning the inside of the engine. First time I used it on my boat by trickling it into the carburator throat with the engine running it blew out so much crud that it took me an hour with a power washer to get my driveway clean....

Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Durangovaldeez
Rookie

Hydra - that was super informative, thank you.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
unless you have an R/T regular grade gas should be just fine in the engine, if you ahve a pinging/knocking problem then try the higher octane
Stock R/Ts don't need anything but low octane....No diff than a Ram motor...Unless they are running a Mopar Performance PCM...Then they need 91 or 93.

Mine likes a blend of 91 & 100....Too bad I can't get 100 anymore.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:00 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Hmm... Adobedude I'm not sure where you're getting your information from but you're extremely incorrect. First off the R/T has different heads then the Ram 5.9 and also the PCM is WAY more aggressively tuned then stock. There's a reason its the R/T and BTW, it says on the instrument cluster on some, owners manual, and gas door/cap that it requires premium grade gasoline.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:17 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Adobedude
Stock R/Ts don't need anything but low octane....No diff than a Ram motor...Unless they are running a Mopar Performance PCM...Then they need 91 or 93.

Mine likes a blend of 91 & 100....Too bad I can't get 100 anymore.

yes some of the R/Ts do need premium, especially the earlier ones(they had a different computer tune than later model R/Ts and the regular 5.9 from the ram, or stl+ durango ect), later on they dropped the more aggressive tune and the premium fuel requirement, if you are going to attempt to correct me, please do your research before doing so and make certain that you have good reason, and can prove your point. In this case it is true that SOME R/Ts will run on regular low octane fuel, but some of them did need premium

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Hmm... Adobedude I'm not sure where you're getting your information from but you're extremely incorrect. First off the R/T has different heads then the Ram 5.9 and also the PCM is WAY more aggressively tuned then stock. There's a reason its the R/T and BTW, it says on the instrument cluster on some, owners manual, and gas door/cap that it requires premium grade gasoline.

exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2011, 11:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Your welcome,

I'm going to throw some in my boat as well and blow it out next year. Think I'll do it out in the field so I can scratch the cleaning process.....LMAO

Quick Reply: 00 5.9 Fuel?