1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

00 5.9 Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Adobedude
Stock R/Ts don't need anything but low octane....No diff than a Ram motor...Unless they are running a Mopar Performance PCM...Then they need 91 or 93.
Incorrect!

Yes the motor is the same, however the OEM programming is not! In 2000 the first R/T's the factory built had a more aggressive tune that required the use of 91 octane or better. The aggressive tune advanced the timing enough that the 91 octane was needed for a slower burn.

I know of people that tried the use of lower octane in the 2000's (that I'm talking) about and the motor pinged like crazy!

Now the other R/T's (and that represents the shear majority of them) it is not required. Regular fuel is fine.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
yes some of the R/Ts do need premium, especially the earlier ones(they had a different computer tune than later model R/Ts and the regular 5.9 from the ram, or stl+ durango ect), later on they dropped the more aggressive tune and the premium fuel requirement, if you are going to attempt to correct me, please do your research before doing so and make certain that you have good reason, and can prove your point. In this case it is true that SOME R/Ts will run on regular low octane fuel, but some of them did need premium
exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HA HA......WRONG.

The 5.9 Motor in a Dakota R/T is the same exact 5.9 Motor in a 5.9 Ram...The cam, the heads, the pistons...No Differance.

I have a 98 Ram, and a 2001 Dakota R/T. Been inside both motors numerous times.

The ONLY thing Dodge did to make an R/T an R/T is give it a 1" drop, bigger sway bars and a 2.5" exhaust. Thats it.

Only reason anyone has to run Premium is if they swap to Mopar Performace PCM or get a hooter tune from Sean, or plug in a Stuped**** tuner. which increased timing....Hell, half the R/Ts out there are probably rolling on the famous Death Flash, just like Rams...

Old 01-02-2011, 11:53 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude so what you're telling me is there is nothing special between the R/T and the SLT. The PCM is factory tuned to have more giddy up so you're belief that it's only required if its got a Mopar Performance PCM is a pile of crap.

To lay this to rest, there won't be hardly any gain to put any higher octane gas in the regular 5.9, and premium octane gas is required if it says its required. If it doesn't say anything just put regular gas in it.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Incorrect!

Yes the motor is the same, however the OEM programming is not! In 2000 the first R/T's the factory built had a more aggressive tune that required the use of 91 octane or better. The aggressive tune advanced the timing enough that the 91 octane was needed for a slower burn.

I know of people that tried the use of lower octane in the 2000's (that I'm talking) about and the motor pinged like crazy!

Now the other R/T's (and that represents the shear majority of them) it is not required. Regular fuel is fine.
The First Dakota R/Ts were built in 1998, last year waa 2003.

I don't know anyone with a stock PCM on any Dakota R/T forum who bothers with anything but 87 or 89....But for some reason, some 2000 Durango R/Ts required 91.

My 2001 didn't require 91 when it was stock.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Dude so what you're telling me is there is nothing special between the R/T and the SLT. The PCM is factory tuned to have more giddy up so you're belief that it's only required if its got a Mopar Performance PCM is a pile of crap.

To lay this to rest, there won't be hardly any gain to put any higher octane gas in the regular 5.9, and premium octane gas is required if it says its required. If it doesn't say anything just put regular gas in it.
There's nothing special about a Dakota R/T other than the badges, a 1" drop and bigger sway bars...The extra power cam from the larger exhaust.

Lot's of rumors over the years...But facts are facts....The 5.9 im my 98 Ram is identical in everyway to the 5.9 in my 2001 R/T.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:06 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the Durango section not Dakotas. Rumors may be rumors on the Dakota but as far as the Durango goes I have access to an owners manual to prove it requires premium gas and many tests to prove there is performance tuned from the factory. Oh and my Durango has a 2.5" exhaust stock and its just the SLT.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
This is the Durango section not Dakotas. Rumors may be rumors on the Dakota but as far as the Durango goes I have access to an owners manual to prove it requires premium gas and many tests to prove there is performance tuned from the factory. Oh and my Durango has a 2.5" exhaust stock and its just the SLT.
Like I said....Durangos and some jeeps require high octane...Go figure.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

HA HA......WRONG.

The 5.9 Motor in a Dakota R/T is the same exact 5.9 Motor in a 5.9 Ram...The cam, the heads, the pistons...No Differance.

I have a 98 Ram, and a 2001 Dakota R/T. Been inside both motors numerous times.

The ONLY thing Dodge did to make an R/T an R/T is give it a 1" drop, bigger sway bars and a 2.5" exhaust. Thats it.

Only reason anyone has to run Premium is if they swap to Mopar Performace PCM or get a hooter tune from Sean, or plug in a Stuped**** tuner. which increased timing....Hell, half the R/Ts out there are probably rolling on the famous Death Flash, just like Rams...
you are dead wrong, there was in 2000 R/T DURANGOS, as hydra already said, a much more aggressively tuned PCM which REQUIRES premium fuel to run right, you are NOT correct that none of the R/Ts need premium, and you are starting to **** off a number of us who actually know what we are talking about. Also i never said that there was a difference in the engines, just the computer tune, and YES that is enough, now please face the facts and stop providing incorrect information.

There's nothing special about a Dakota R/T other than the badges, a 1" drop and bigger sway bars...The extra power cam from the larger exhaust.

Lot's of rumors over the years...But facts are facts....The 5.9 im my 98 Ram is identical in everyway to the 5.9 in my 2001 R/T.
thats nice, we are talking about durangos, NOT DAKOTAS!!!!!!!!!!! in the durango there was a better (powerwise) pcm tune which requires premium fuel, you are WRONG on this and need to just admit it and move on.

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Incorrect!

^he is explaining it with a much more level head than i am right now so read it and then dont waste your own time, my time, hydras time, or anyone elses time responding unless you are going to post accurate AND useful information (you have not done this yet)

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 01-03-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
you are dead wrong, there was in 2000 R/T DURANGOS, as hydra already said, a much more aggressively tuned PCM which REQUIRES premium fuel to run right, you are NOT correct that none of the R/Ts need premium, and you are starting to **** off a number of us who actually know what we are talking about. Also i never said that there was a difference in the engines, just the computer tune, and YES that is enough, now please face the facts and stop providing incorrect information.

thats nice, we are talking about durangos, NOT DAKOTAS!!!!!!!!!!! in the durango there was a better (powerwise) pcm tune which requires premium fuel, you are WRONG on this and need to just admit it and move on.

^he is explaining it with a much more level head than i am right now so read it and then dont waste your own time, my time, hydras time, or anyone elses time responding unless you are going to post accurate AND useful information (you have not done this yet)
Sorry..I mised the part this was a Durango thread...But i did mention some Durangos do need high octane fuel, but some of the pinging could be do to the Plenum plate leaking....Whic his why Chrysler came up with the death flash...Pulled timing to prevent detonation instead of warranting every stupid plenum plate they ever made.

At least everyone now knows Durango and Dakota R/Ts run the exact same 5.9 Magnum motor as a Ram.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes we understand all that information, also there are a lot of threads about those particular issues here as well.

Quick Reply: 00 5.9 Fuel?