1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Anyone know how to replace the illumination bulb for the headlight switch in a 01 Dur

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Gr8Dane
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know how to replace the illumination bulb for the headlight switch in a 01 Dur

It seems that my headlight switch as well as the 2wd/4wd switch don't light up anymore when I turn on my headlights at night. Does anyone know how to take the headlight switch out so I can access the bulb and replace it? Same thing with the 2wd/4wd switch? This is for a 2001 Durango. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:09 AM
a57chevy43
Rookie

I know on some GM vehicles you could change the bulbs and on some they are sealed units and use led type lights and cant be changed.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC, the units you are refferring to cannot be opened to replace the bulbs. They are sold as whole units. You can try at a junkyard to see how to get them out of the dash so you don't ruin your own when you install the replacements.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Gr8Dane

I was able to access the rear of the switches. The head light switch does indeed take 2 instrument cluster bulbs that are only available at the dealer. 1 is for the foglight indicator and the other bulb lights up the headlight icons at night. The 4x4 selector **** however, does not use an accessible bulb and is a sealed unit.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the update!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stand corrected! Thank you for increasing my knowledge of our beloved Ds.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:50 PM
bridog45040

I realize this is an old thread, but does anyone know the part# for either of those two bulbs? My local dealer cannot find them anywhere and I have the same issue with the one for the light switch (not the fog lights) blown.

It appears to be some kind of micro bulb.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 02-22-2014, 07:04 PM
fsearcy2

i know this is an old thread but i just recently had this problem so i found the light bulbs that seem to be a pain in everyone's back side the part # is 7219 and can be found here https://www.bulbtown.com

Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
StreetWalkerDakota
Default Home made light

Originally Posted by Gr8Dane
It seems that my headlight switch as well as the 2wd/4wd switch don't light up anymore when I turn on my headlights at night. Does anyone know how to take the headlight switch out so I can access the bulb and replace it? Same thing with the 2wd/4wd switch? This is for a 2001 Durango. Thanks.
So it seems no one really has an answer but "try to find a replacement bulb" so after I bought led replacements for the climate control... I came up with the idea of remove the old light bulb, grabbing an led on from a Christmas light replacement kit. My thought is if what you buy is an led light in the OEM socket, why can't I just switch out the incandescent for an LED
I had to solder longer connectors on it so I could feed it through the original light bulb housing. Definitely could have made them longer to wrap the connection better but it works.Also had to remove a tiny bit of plastic from the housing (Razor blades width) since the connections I soldered were a little thicker then the original so I needed to be able to turn in a tad more to lock in place. In the end.. I'm happy,. Way cheaper then the model and these bulbs are next to impossible to find. Only thing I may do differently is try to figure out how to get a little brighter but with my lack of knowledge on this, I'd rather it be lit but dim then possibly be asking to much power or watts or whatever and burn the module. P.S. I have no electrical school just good with Christmas lighting repair so I merged the 2.
I used a 5mm led white light. NOTE- I do know led are diodes and diodes work 1 direction so mark the positive and negative on the module and the bulb housing before you build it so you don't build it backwards!

​​​​​

This is the housing with the old light. I was going to solder these 4 legs to make 2 login ones but I sacrificed another new led for new legs which is why I stated before I had to take a razor blade blades with off the plastic housing for the bulb for the connection to mate because of the thickness of the new vrs OEM

These are the 2 I decided to sacrifice solder to the light. I recommend making them longer then I did as you can always cut them

This is what I had

Incase your wondering the power draw... Maybe someone who understands electrical more with leds could mention what could be done to have it be a little brighter as I stated it's not the brightest

I used orange Marker to mark negative / positive. I forget what used orange for exactly, black line was to make sure I kept the negative and positive where they should be

This is this final product. Not perfect but better then just having the tiny fog light lit up and everything else dark

​​​​

Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,201 Likes on 2,953 Posts

LED with higher output??

Quick Reply: Anyone know how to replace the illumination bulb for the headlight switch in a 01 Dur