1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

I'm just sayin!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 AM
bowhuntmaine
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm just sayin!?

first of all, I love this site. Some here are pretty funny with the smiley faces. Anyway, I'm not a mech and i will never respond to a thread unless I have a legit question or I've had the same prob that was threaded. Maybe i'm **** but i do keep a book about what was fixed, parts used and why the original part failed, and how it was fixed. Dodges, especially Durango's are an animal all their own. I've owned 2 Durando's, a 99 which i still rely on and a 00 which i traded for a 04 yukon xl denali. Just wanted to say that i have learned more from this forum in the last week than i have trying to search the web in the last couple of years. Thanks to all for running a great site.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:45 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

your welcome, and we are glad to help, you maybe be a little more OCD than i am, but i keep records of EVERYTHING, i have a little book in my truck w/ all the maintance doen to the truck including mileage date and all the reciets go into the owners manual wallet. this book includes tire rotations, oil changes ect, including every time i pull into the gas station i write down the mileage, trip distance, price/gal and gallons purchased, its nice to keep records like this since it makes keeping track of everything sooo much easier

Old 01-06-2011, 06:11 PM
logikfive
Professional

I do the same thing, only I keep all my repair log information on my iPhone through an app called Carminder. It tells me everything

Old 01-06-2011, 11:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for your encouragement!

We love the site and love helping people if we can, but sometimes it doesn't work out......LOL

Old 01-08-2011, 09:15 AM
bowhuntmaine
Professional

i do have one question bugging me though. does anyone know why the 46re trans fails? i can only assume that since this is a common trans between trucks and durango's and that a mutitude have failed, they all have the same problem. dodge keeps asaying they fixed the prob, but i know people on their 4th trans. when mine went i was under the assumption from the mech that my converter failed and took the trans with it. can that happen? thanks

Old 01-08-2011, 05:57 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

I keep my records the old fashioned way......KEEP THEM!! I had an excel spread sheep with the removed and instaleld items but lost the file. I need to redo them but I keep receipts and file them. One of these days I will reenter them into the excel spread sheet.

LOGIK....do they have that APP for Blackberrys and DROID PHONES?

Old 01-09-2011, 07:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bowhuntmaine
i do have one question bugging me though. does anyone know why the 46re trans fails? i can only assume that since this is a common trans between trucks and durango's and that a mutitude have failed, they all have the same problem. dodge keeps asaying they fixed the prob, but i know people on their 4th trans. when mine went i was under the assumption from the mech that my converter failed and took the trans with it. can that happen? thanks
Well it's not a problem with the build, it's more of an issue with overall maintenance. Owners get relaxed with the fluid, filter, and adjustments that the transmission should have every 15K-30k miles. They simply fail to do it. Now according to the owners manual it states that they should be serviced at 60k intervals, however in reality they shouldn't go that far....IMHO...... The other reason is owners will do a Transmission FLUSH and all this does is force crap that the filter removed through the transmission! THIS IS REALLY BAD! The filter is suppost to catch the crap, not allow it to get stuck in places it should be.....LOL.....And third, people use the incorrect replacement fluids. People should be using ATF+4 in all Durango transmissions! If people use a multi-purpose transmission fluid it WILL cause issues. Shops will use this fluid because it's cheap, not because it's the right fluid!

The best thing is this, every 15K-30K miles do the filter, fluid, and trans adjustments like you are supposed to and you shouldn't have any problems!

Old 01-09-2011, 10:15 PM
logikfive
Professional

Originally Posted by MAGIC84
LOGIK....do they have that APP for Blackberrys and DROID PHONES?
Good question, I have no idea. Since I don't own a Droid or Blackberry, I can't say.

It's a real cool app though, here is a few snapshots I took of mine this morning, and how I monitor all my vehicles. On my Conquest you can see I have one alert (I believe it's oil change) but since that car is in storage I'm not worried about it until I get it out.

Edit: Before anyone says anything, that's a brake caliper bracket. Not the caliper :P Previous owner stripped out the bracket putting those stupid caliper bolts in, of course it backed out and I got a clunking caliper.

Name:  1eaef125.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  23.0 KB Name:  4ae02d43.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  21.3 KB

Name:  d625d3fc.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  31.1 KB

I can even email the log to my email if I want to.

Last edited by logikfive; 01-09-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 AM
bowhuntmaine
Professional

i like that, i'll make sure this trans is maintained, the other already had 67k of someone else driving. thanks guys

Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I agree on maintenance. A lot of folks will look at the fluid and it will look clean, but they don't smell it. It can look clean, but have a sour smell... somewhat too late then. That's why a shorter interval change is in order.

logikfive, I like that app. I'm gonna look for it.

Quick Reply: I'm just sayin!?