1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Is it my T-stat??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 PM
sparkmarv
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it my T-stat??

My D is fairly new to me, and as soon as it got cold out, i noticed my heat sucked, like really sucked, my temp gauge would hardly go past first mark, but ive read that the heat in a durango sucks anyway, so I never thought much of it.

Just now, when I left work, it overheated, and my heat was cold, even with temp gauge almost red. So i had to turn around, and borrow a work truck.

Please tell me this is my thermostat!!

Could you give me specifics on how to fix, as im young, and not the greatest of mechanics.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:49 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be the stat. Also could just be low coolant.

Perfect time for some R&R.

Swap the stat (Autozone $9, 180 degree) with a new gasket ($1), swap the upper and lower hoses (dealer only under $50 for the pair... there is a HUGE difference in quality and fit) new hose clamps ($x) the then refill with 2 gallons of Prestone 50/50 premix ($16.) Try to get at least two gallons of new coolant in there total. About 60-90 minutes of work, a tad messy, make sure you get the old gasket off completely while not getting crap into the hole.

Report back.

IndyDurango

Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

P.S.
It's "Amateur" by the way

Old 01-12-2011, 11:24 PM
sparkmarv
Rookie

LOL

Thank you INDY.

I will upate you as soon as i "get er done" as i am very busy theese days, so it will be a day or two.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 PM
sparkmarv
Rookie

Well i fixed her, it was the t-stat, and a combination of bad antifreeze. So i drained coolant, ewww, it was some nasty stuff, a oarnge color, probally rust. I removed the bottom hose, and flushed the radiator, just with water, and changed the radiator cap. I will do a real flush when the temp warms up, I will also flush my heater core.

I knew the antfreeze looked funny, but i was hopin to get by till spring, right now i dont really have the money to replace the hoses, they are fine for now.

Obviously the previous owner didnt know what they where doing, or how to maintain anything. This spring im gonna flush coolant system, change spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor. I also will take it to the tranny shop, for a fluid change and band adjustment.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:39 AM
bowhuntmaine
Professional

You can't beat routine maintenance, It will save you from a headache later.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:08 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by sparkmarv
it overheated, and my heat was cold, even with temp gauge almost red.
I know you have it fixed, but for future reference this pretty much always means the coolant is extremely low.

So you probably had a combination of low coolant, bad t-stat, and dirty coolant.

Not sure where you heard that Durangos have bad heat. With my blower on low and 10 degrees outside I still occasionally have to crack a window open to cool it down inside a little bit.

Now that you replaced the t-stat and have it running at the proper temp, if your heat is still bad you need to give your heater core some attention. Try flushing it first, and if that doesn't work, replace it.

Quick Reply: Is it my T-stat??