1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

dual exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:27 PM
jmess
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual exhaust

so for my next project i plan on putting some headers and dual flowmasters on my 98 5.9l. now ive done this on 3 chevy trucks before and one ram but never a durango. i cant see running into many, if any, problems with puting on the headers but im not sure about how well it will go with routing the pipes from the headers to the back when it comes to the drivers side. i havnt been under my truck in a while considering its parked in the back yard surrounded my a foot and a half of snow so does anybody know if theres room for me to run 2.5'' pipes down the drivers side of my truck, or anywhere for that matter, to get equal back pressure coming from both pipes?

Old 01-16-2011, 06:40 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are you concerned about equal pressure out of both pipes?

More than likely, you will have a single in, dual out muffler after the single in, single out cat. From there, the pressure will do what the pressure does. Don't worry about it.

You will need to find a good shop to run the pipe without needing to remove the spare. Otherwise, if it isn't a good shop, they wil tell you to lose the spare tire.

With all that said, run 3" to cat and then to muffler and then to pipe for max gain.

Duals on 2.5" are great... for looks. That's it. Otherwise... wasted time.

IndyDurango

Old 01-16-2011, 06:44 PM
jmess
Veteran

i planned on going with true dual, 2 separate mufflers. i also dont have a spare underneath anyways so it wont bother me. and ill be doing this myself. not at a shop

Old 01-16-2011, 07:32 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

True dual will be much more expensive as they have to do much more fabrication and you will need to purchase another cat.

Typically for these rigs its just easier to do like Indy said.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:20 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You should need a hell of a build to even warrant having to place a system like that on it in the first place. Unless you have some bad *** build or something you will just throw your money away.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:21 PM
jmess
Veteran

i know it would cost more for other people to do it. but i have done this on other trucks before and refuse to pay someone to do something that i know how to do. i can also do the fabrication myself such as welding and pipe bending.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 PM
jmess
Veteran

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
You should need a hell of a build to even warrant having to place a system like that on it in the first place. Unless you have some bad *** build or something you will just throw your money away.
so it would really be pointless then to put true dual on the d? ok. im not against saving money. just like to have the best. but if its a waste of time as well i guess i will just go with the single in dual out

Old 01-16-2011, 09:35 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Also it has been proven that if your doing the single muffler that a single out would be better for performance.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1

You want "some" back pressure. Just put on a CAT back 3" system single and be done with it.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:49 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

I did a heads and back system with 2.5" single pipe.. flowmaster super 44 muffler. I feel that my system is a little too loud.. depends on your taste and a little bit on your location.

a popular opinion is that the exhaust system on the Ds are a waste of money... I agree, i would almost take mine back if i could..

Quick Reply: dual exhaust