1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Plugging it in

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:39 PM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugging it in

This one's for you cold climate folks...

I've been missing the block heater in my old Jimmy ever since I got rid of it, and have been meaning to get one installed in my D. What sort of heater do you all prefer? I've always been partial to the freeze plug heaters, but have heard good things about some of the other styles as well. (The main debate seems to be whether it's better to warm the coolant or warm the oil... Hmm, maybe do both?)

Then it occurs to me that as long as I have 120v going to the vehicle, why not do some more things with it? The first, most obvious thing that comes to mind is an onboard trickle charger. Between the warmed engine and fully topped-off battery, that should really ease starting on sub-zero mornings as well as reduce some wear and tear on various components.

What else could I wire in to make those brutally cold mornings a little less miserable? One crazy idea I've toyed with for years, but never tried, is putting a small electric space heater somewhere in the cab to get the interior pre-warmed before the engine warms up enough to get the heater blowing nice and warm. This would be on a remote control so it would only run for 10 - 15 minutes before actually getting in the truck. (Would also make the scraping job much easier...) Could never figure out where to mount one that would be both inconspicuous and safe, though. In the end I'll probably write this one off as just an interesting idea and take the easy way out and install a remote start.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by coreybv; 01-19-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 PM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

block heater thru freezer plugs is the best way ,,, why not have one aside ,,,,,i`ve done that plug both in and she`s warm for morning even in out -30 weather we had this winter , Started without a problem Plus plugging it in , not it winter benifits too ,,,warm engine ,,,better gas milage ...don`t ask me how ,,,, it just works ,,,,, got it from old school dodge techie

Old 01-19-2011, 09:19 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I dislike the block heaters. Seen them blow and even had a plug blow (took out the motor). When I was a kid I had one on the lower heater hose and it circulated by design.

Oil heaters suck and do nothing but burn it.....LOL

A heater inside the cab is a good idea, but with a trickle charger and engine heater that will pull enough amps. Better of not doing a cab heater.

I was thinking of doing the same thing with a trickle and a lower hose heater because I just don't drive mine enough.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Can someone shed some light on a lower hose heater, I just don't care for the plug heater.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

You simply cut the lower radiator hose (return not T-stat side) and place one of these inline. Place it in a way that the hot water will flow upward into the block. Install a T-stat with a small bypass bleeder hole and your set. As the hot water rises the flow moves the water into the block and cool water flows back into the radiator. Kat's makes one. Couldn't find the old one I used to have but either way:

The smaller heater hose ones don't work.

http://www.warehouseautoparts.com/Sp...ose_Heater.htm
http://fivestarmanufacturing.com/Kat_s

Old 01-19-2011, 11:40 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I like that much better and will most likely be purchasing this soon. Very good to know for customers too! Looks much more stable and reliable than a freeze plug heater.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:23 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Oil heaters suck and do nothing but burn it.....LOL
Hmm... I've never heard that before. On paper I like the idea of having the oil pre-warmed and ready to flow easily right off the bat, but if you're damaging the oil in the process then I guess that would be a bit counterproductive...

To be honest I'd forgotten about the lower hose heaters. I had one on one of my cars in high school and it was a waste of money. Then again I was a broke high school kid and bought the cheapest one I could find, probably just wasn't putting out the heat necessary for this climate. I do like the idea that they circulate the coolant, plus it would be a much easier install. And as long as the block was kept warm, that should be enough to warm the oil up reasonably fast...

The trickle charger I'm already sold on. I know from experience how hard the cold can be on batteries, so it should pay for itself just in extended battery lifetime. Especially since I have never and will never buy a "cheap" car battery. I thought about a battery warmer, but figure that the charging action should generate a little heat and negate the need for that.

As for the cabin heater, I still really, really want to do it, I just can't quite figure out how to get it in there in an acceptable way. I don't want it taking up either passenger or cargo space, and every way I've thought of to mount one out of the way would present a fire hazard. Maybe a small hazard, but still..... The few good ideas I can think of for that would end up costing more than a high end remote start + pro install...

(Now I just need to find a remote start still on the market with a voltage monitor. Had one years ago that would automatically start the vehicle and recharge the battery if the voltage fell to a certain point. Even tested it with the headlights on for a full night and the car started fine in the morning. Not seeing that feature advertised in the current stuff, though...)

Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by coreybv
Hmm... I've never heard that before. On paper I like the idea of having the oil pre-warmed and ready to flow easily right off the bat, but if you're damaging the oil in the process then I guess that would be a bit counterproductive...
Two words, FULL SYNTHETIC. If it's a good flow you're looking for a great full synthetic oil brand such as Mobil 1 is what you want. Mobil 1 has been proven in as low as -56 degrees F to flow like water.

If you live somewhere where it colder than that, you don't need an oil heater, you need a new place to live.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Two words, FULL SYNTHETIC. If it's a good flow you're looking for a great full synthetic oil brand such as Mobil 1 is what you want. Mobil 1 has been proven in as low as -56 degrees F to flow like water.

If you live somewhere where it colder than that, you don't need an oil heater, you need a new place to live.
Hell ya bro!

Fully Synthetic oil like Mobil One flows like water at -56 so there is no issue there.

Second, if you just heat the oil, well that is only in the oil pan and not through the entire motor, so it does nothing to heat the motor, only the oil! The water jackets go through the entire motor not just the bottom. I know the new trucks come with block heaters, but when they go out it's such a PITA to change out and in reality they are the same only a lot easier to get to.

Quick Reply: Plugging it in