1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4.7 to 5.7 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Spark plugs are like talking about oil, some people like this and that but the bottom line is, the motor was built to run a certain way and if you are running an OEM build then you should run what that motor was built to run, period. There is a LOT of people here that change to this plug or that plug cause they like it better or the parts store told them to run it, and after 2k miles are asking "why is my ride runnin like crap now?" Just remember that.

Now if you have a built motor (not OEM) then all parameters are different.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:14 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Harley Davidsons come with Champions, from the factory. But they run best on Bosch Platnum..The Harley Evo Motor was not designed in the U.S, They were designed in Germany in 1984. So the American Plug gets the bid, only because it's cheaper for Harley to buy .Not because they're better. Plugs "are" a LOT like oil- everyone has a favorite.And some have better luck with some than others.I've seen too many Champions fail to trust them..And I've taken too many motors apart that had a QS owner to ever put Quaker State in anything I dont want gummed up with wax..
That's my opinion..

Old 02-19-2011, 01:37 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have never seen a motor wind up with a wax because by spark plugs. Sorry, BWTF.......are you even talkin about?

That analogy is crap hands down......And by the way, American parts are at least 2X higher in price then imported parts......Sorry, but you need to check labor/manufacturing and importing rates in other countries.....Just my conservative 2 cents.

We are NOT talking about Harley's here!.......We are talkin about a motor that has proven it's self time and time again. Nothin against Harley, they kick ***.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:47 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hydra I believe he was referring to the Quaker State oil waxing up the engine, which I totally believe and never use Quaker State. Try getting an engine running Mobil 1 FS to get any different results other than a spot free engine that looks brand spanking new. Good luck!

Also, I am confused where Harleys came into play on this one. The Bosch Platinums are really made for performance vehicles with a turbo, IIRC. Also, hydra I'll second that imports being cheaper than domestic products. On most things from what I've seen, if it says made in china it's cheaper than anything else you can find.

As for the spark plug controversy, I'm going to use what the OEM calls for under the hood, and not change it up and kill my motor. Just my .02 and I'll stick by it as long as I have no problems with Champion.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:31 AM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

Ill wade in one this. I never had a problem with Bosch plugs in anything i put them in, i ran them in my 5.9 not a hiccup, i think champion`s are good , but they are not one my top 5 for something i`d run ..( i`ve tried them in my Rt ).Tried quite a few plugs till i stuffed Plustars in there, and they are the ONLY ones i`d ever put in ''The Mistress ''.....as for oil; Quaker state never gave me a problem when i ran in for my break-in oil on my 6.3L, for 1000 klm`s. I`m a Amsoil freak lol always have been ...

Old 02-19-2011, 12:50 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I've had so many problems with Quaker State and Pennzoil both so I'll never use them. As for Amsoil and Mobil 1, it's like a Chevy vs. GMC debate. To me, they're both a great quality Full Synthetic, I've just seen first hand how much Mobil 1 does a great job on an engine.

As for no problems with the platinums 01, I've seen more problems with them in a Dodge more times than I fan count on both hands and feet. To me, they may be a a great plug, but I ain't puting it in my Mopar.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:30 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i agree with widow on the platinums(mine will always get champions from me), as far as oil, i have been running shell dino oil for as long as i have been driving the truck and dont have any plans to change that.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:26 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I can agree with that shrp, my diesel runs Shell Rotella T 15w-40 since i got it at 163,xxx and don't want it to spring leaks or anything with it's age. Just going to run dino in it until it dies.

As for dino oil, Shell Rotella T is all I'll use, just because it's cheaper than Mobil.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:10 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

lol yup shell makes a good oil, my dad has been using quaker state in his truck, he just wont listen to me when i tell him not to, o well not my problem if he blows it up

Old 02-19-2011, 05:41 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I've tried Quaker state because I got talked into it and it just ends up all gunned up in the end. I have opened up an engine on a Dodge that hadn't had it's oil changed in 80k miles and once I cleaned up the gabage, it looked better than once I cleaned the garbage out of the engine running QS.

It's a weird residue that it leaves and like I said, shell makes a great oil but I'll swear by Mobil 1 until I die from what I've seen. I tore the top end of my engine (5.9 360) when it hit around 100k miles, and not one single bit of sludge and was clean as a whistle. I have used Mobil 1 since it's very first oil change on my D however.

Quick Reply: 4.7 to 5.7 swap