1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango R/T wont run after transmission replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 PM
tgrever
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Durango R/T wont run after transmission replacement.

Well i just rebuilt my transmission, and got it back in the durango (2001 R/T 5.9) well i went to start it up, it was sputtering backfiring wouldnt stay running without serious pumping of the gas i let it run for a few min and i get the p0132 code, i forgot to connect an oxygen sensor and so i crawled under connected it and reset computer.

It still sputters barely starts, backfires RPM meter goes crazy from 2-3 on the meter without really any engine change just seems to bounce all over the place. Now the kicker and things that ive done that may influence it are:

1. removed and installed transmission
2. cut the exhaust just before the muffler where the clamp is as i couldnt separate it for removal. (still cut)
3. ran out of gas (i think) though i did get 5 gallons in the tank now
4. replaced coil
5. checked and made sure all plugs and wires were good
6. made it run for a few minutes until some smoke started coming out, looked under and the exhaust pipe was a bright red from being so hot.

Im at a loss no idea what to look at, the engine ran perfect prior to transmission removal and installation. Ive checked all connections i can see, and they are all connected and im getting no codes as of right now. I cant really keep the engine running long enough for it to throw one i dont think.

Anyway any ideas im all ears.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:42 PM
bjr1a
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any chance the crank sensor failed or was damaged...It is located near top of bellhousing...

brian

Old 02-21-2011, 10:40 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I agree with brian, But i already sent you a pm with the same message. Great minds think alike.

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango R/T wont run after transmission replacement.