1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

in need of advice once more...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 01:40 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Texaco still even around? I know Chevron is at least in Maryland....Comedian Ralphie May was talking about TECHRON......"I want some Techron...I don't even know what it is but I know I want some."

Old 02-26-2011, 01:54 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Not all fuel is created equal (or delivered/stored properly by delivery drivers). I have a friend that works for BP in Houston, he tells me that they do contract with grocery store chains, Walmart, etc. He said they use a different formulation with these clients that is a little less expensive to produce. That's why they typically charge less at the pump. He wouldn't tell me how it was different, he said it wasn't bad... just different. Another difference in gas is ethanol content. A lot of regions mandate 10% ethanol.
Anyhow, with all that in mind, most of us will never know the difference unless the stations are negligent with maintenance... Or if contracted delivery drivers are sloppy / dishonest. Lots of variables...

Old 02-26-2011, 03:37 PM
OffTheTimeline
Rookie

Thanks for the replies everyone. Going to go check if I can hear the fuel pump come on and as I don't have the proper know-how to take it apart myself, I just might have it towed to a shop here in a little bit. I did have a similar issue with a fuel pump having to be replaced in an '03 Chevy Cavalier we owned a few years ago. I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:58 PM
OffTheTimeline
Rookie

So I heard the fuel pump come on and the D started up... Revved it about 3-4 times then it finally died again and could not start back up. To the shop she goes! I wish I had the tools and the knowledge, I'd do it all myself!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Boy it sounds like a fuel pump!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:18 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

If Hydra says fuel pump then about 99 % chance thats what it is. Unless he has been with Captain Jack tonight.....then maybe about 95%

Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Biff85ta
Professional

Originally Posted by OffTheTimeline
. To the shop she goes! I wish I had the tools and the knowledge, I'd do it all myself!
Go buy a manual and a hundred bucks worth of hand tools. You have to start somewhere might as well start with a fuel pump.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:06 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Biff has a point......fuel pump isnt that overly complicated.....you just have to remember the vapor is more explosive than the fuel....work in a highly ventilated area.....use brass punches....no sparks......follow the instructions TO THE LETTER....Chiltons and Haynes are pretty good starting points for manuals....... burn as much fuel as possible prior to draining...air tank out.. use respirator and gloves... but leave a little in to make sure the pump stays cool.

These are basic safety tips....if you have some mechanical knowledge and know how to read instructions and have a safety observer you should be fine.....

Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGIC84
Unless he has been with Captain Jack tonight.....then maybe about 95%
Well then ya better not believe most of what I say......LOL

"safety observer".....what the hell are those? I thought those were beer runners......LOL

Droppin the tank is really easy, but remember that you can also test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail to rule it good or bad. You can rent one and as long as you take it back you get your money back, or you can pick one up at Harbor Freight for $17 bucks right now.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:16 AM
OffTheTimeline
Rookie

Lo and behold, twas the fuel pump. Fuel pump: two words I'm beginning to dislike even more. $670 later its done. I know, I know... Its more than I should've paid but when you're pressed for time and need the vehicle what can you do? Plus that's half of what we paid to replace the one on our '03 Cavalier a few years ago. Thank God for tax refunds I guess. I'm still waiting on the Haynes manual my brother's supposed to send me and as far as a basic tool set, what should I look for? I have an employee who is so willing to help me out everytime I mention something's wrong with the D and I think if I'm not so in a rush to get her fixed i'll call him up...

Quick Reply: in need of advice once more...