in need of advice once more...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 11:50 AM
OffTheTimeline
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in need of advice once more...

hey everyone...
So when I last posted, CEL (P0441, P0480) turned off. Fast forward to today. CEL's been on for a while now with the same codes + P0440 now. After work put 2qts Mobil1 10w30 in then started home. On the way decided to put some gas in to get past 1/4, stop by a shell station (read on these forums shell = good) and decide to use 91 instead of 87. After driving off, after about 5 miles, rpm's dropped and gas pedal no effect when pressed. Picked back up after about 2 seconds and gas pedal felt good again. This happened twice, but on the third time pulled over as the engine sputtered and felt like it was trying to stay on but finally couldn't. Tried starting it again after pulling over but would not stay on for more than 3 seconds then die until it would not start. Crank, but no start. Repeated this process for about 45 mins til I gave in and called for a tow. Tow driver mentioned maybe a fuel pump problem. What I want to know is did I somehow f my truck by putting a higher octane in? Or is this something else?? Barely had it for 2 months...

Old 02-25-2011, 12:10 PM
OffTheTimeline
Rookie

Ok so just for kicks I just tried starting it up this morning and it did stay on... Then I drove it about 200 ft, and as soon as I parked her, sputter n died... help...?

Old 02-25-2011, 12:41 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I personally try to stray FAR away from Shell. I have had 3 circumstances where I've gotten bad gas from that station and the gas from Chevron or BP was just fine. I prefer Chevron but it's just personal preference and where you're located at. Chances are the higher octane did not cause the problem.

As for you're main problem, check pressure at the fuel rail and before you start it, turn the key to on and let the fuel prime for a couple of seconds. It sounds to me like your fuel pump is going out and is not able to supply adequate enough pressure to keep the vehicle running.

I'd also check the fuel pump relay and switch it out with another one, maybe there's a slight problem with that. First and foremost check the pressure at the rail though and ensure it's a fuel pump problem. Just my gut feeling.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:04 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i agree with checking fuel pressure and the fuel pump relay

i disagree about shell being bad gas, i also disagree about it being any better than any other gas, 90% of the stations are selling brand name gas, doesnt matter if the station is off-brand or not, the off brand station i usually fill up at has either a shell or exxon tanker filling the tanks . . . its just the way it is, gas is gas today with very little changes btwn companies.

there is of course the potential that a specific station has bad tanks, or water in the tanks or dirty tanks or something like that, those are exceptions to the general rule

Old 02-25-2011, 02:28 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yeah I totally agree shrp. I guess it's just the bad taste Shell left in my mouth by getting 3 bad tanks of gas.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:50 PM
bowhuntmaine
Professional

I had a similiar prob with mine, had to have it towed. It would start, run really bad for a few seconds then die. It did this over a couple of days, then one day it started, rough idled then ran fine. I, and my garage figured that it was trying to push a slug of bad gas through the line. The only code that came up was a miss fire on cylinder 3. My battery was also old so i changed it out, she has run fine since.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

P0440 Evap Sys Perf
P0441 Evap Purge Flow Monitor
P0480 Cooling Fan1 Ctrl Circ Open(Low speed fan)

Sounds like you have other issues as well.......LOL

Check the fuel cap.
Check the E-fan.

Anyway, you could have water in the fuel, put in a bottle of Heat (yellow bottle found at your local corner fuel store) and that will dry fuel if in fact it does have water in the fuel.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally i stay far away from the non=american owned stations... there has been alot of them poping up lately..

Old 02-26-2011, 01:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Personally, my ultimate favorite fuel is Chevron and Texaco. Both use Techron and it seems to burn beautify.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:25 PM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

^+ i agree hydra chevon seems to have great gas lol . though i have to fill ''HER'' up the chevon 94 to get her pUrring . (She loves the 100+ octane racing gas )

Quick Reply: in need of advice once more...