1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fan Clutch

Old 03-01-2011, 08:02 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't recommend taking out the e-fan altogether. If its there why get rid of it? Just because the summer may not be horribly hot doesn't mean your engine won't need cooled down.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its too noisy, and Ive read about other people doing it and not having a problem. I want to install an electric fan but am unsure if I could have it run automatically of if i would have to control it myself.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i have never heard of people removing the stock e-fan, the stock clutch fan? sure iv heard of it, iv even considered replacing mine w/ an electric fan, but all of my money is going to school right now, yes it can be setup to go on automatically or you could do it yourself however for the price you wont find an e-fan that cools like the clutch fan does

Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Sorry, thats what I meant to say. The clutch fan is just way too loud and I feel it takes away a lot of the fun in cruising around just because of the noise. I want to hear that V8 roar all of the time. Not just when im driving at 45+.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

See me with a 5.9 and Flownaster exhaust I just stomp on it when I wanna hear it roar. Oh and it does such a great job of roaring. I wouldn't try and stray you either for or against replacing the clutch fan with electric. IMO they are both equal I just prefer to keep a clutch fan because I depend on it easier than electric.

Its a fetch up whether you should or shouldn't just depends on who you ask. LOL

Old 03-01-2011, 09:50 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Well yeah my 4.7L roars when i stomp on it but I miss hearing the roar all the time like I did with my 2001 5.0L. I just think that Dodge could have done a few things differently when they made these cars, like 4 wheel disk and ABS and electric fans. ABS isnt a problem in the summer but its nice to have in the winter.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:00 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
Sorry, thats what I meant to say. The clutch fan is just way too loud and I feel it takes away a lot of the fun in cruising around just because of the noise. I want to hear that V8 roar all of the time. Not just when im driving at 45+.

if you are hearing the fan all of the time you have a bad clutch, end of story, you should not hear a clutch fan all the time. on a cold start you will hear it for a bit, then it should disengage and youshouldnt hear it anymore unless you overheat, or until you let it sit overnight

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
Well yeah my 4.7L roars when i stomp on it but I miss hearing the roar all the time like I did with my 2001 5.0L. I just think that Dodge could have done a few things differently when they made these cars, like 4 wheel disk and ABS and electric fans. ABS isnt a problem in the summer but its nice to have in the winter.
honestly i dont notice a lack of stopping power due to having drums in the rear, the electric fans dont cool as well as the clutch fans do under load, and are also not as reliable, for cars they are fine, but for a TRUCK the clutch fan is definitely better, hell even new trucks today still come w/ a clutch fan. and I personally dont like having 4 wheel abs, with the abs i cannot 'stand the truck on its nose' while with my old truck (it had rwabs only) i could stop it on a dime, now for the average(read clueless, or careless) driver abs does help bc they dont need to think about what they are doing, just press the brakes and let the computer make sure you stop, if you know how to modulate the brakes the abs will just get in the way (yes id say this is true even in the winter, but then i learned to drive without abs in all condidtions)

Old 03-01-2011, 10:02 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Its all about what package your vehicle came with. I ordered mine with 4 wheel ABS and personally I like the drums in the back. Personal preference but I like it. And I'm a fan of the clutch fan because these trucks were made to be best in class towing and an electric fan just won't suffice.

I would trust a clutch fan any day of the week over an electric fan, but like I said it's just personal preference.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 PM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

^+ i agree with you Widow , i have kept my stock clutch-fan, but upgrade to a more CFM flowing fan.....as for hearing the clutch fan instead of thrump of motor ,,,not a problem here ,,,,,,

Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

I know it, All im saying is that Ford had 4 wheel disk/ABS standard on a lot of their earlier cars. As far as that goes its fine with me as I can manage the lockup any way. It just doesnt seem as though the rear ABS works properly, at least I can barely feel it pump back. The Clutch fan I understand is on these vehicles because of their Best in Class towing of the time and like you said an electric fan just wouldnt have cut the butter. I just dont like all the noise but then Theres almost a 0% chance of overheating as long as your fluids are all good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fan Clutch