1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

low power

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:45 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jmess
ohhh gotchya. that actually brings up a new issue that i just remembered about. my speedo sensor on the rear axle is shot and i get a code on my scanner about it when i plug it in but yet my CEL isnt on. any thoughts on why thats happening? already checked the bulb btw
the rear wheel speed sensor usually trips the brake/abs light, and does not always trip the cel, idk why it doesnt

Originally Posted by redfernclan
I had a three wheeler do the same thing after sitting. Turned out to be a mouse nest in the aircleaner. It might be worth a look, I found one on the top of the intake once after sitting for a bit.
this is a very likely scenario, i know we find mice building nests in all of our equipment that sits for a while, we actually found one INSIDE the engine on the lawn mower this past year, had to tear it down to get it out

Old 03-01-2011, 01:50 PM
jmess
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no mouse nest in the air box and j also did an oil change not too Long ago and the level is fine. I'll pick up some sea foam soon and get on those o2 sensors today since it's so nice out. I'll be praying it's not a headgasket while I'm at it lol

Old 03-01-2011, 02:34 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Yep, the worst thing you can do to a vehicle is not drive it.

Check the entire air intake path (not just the box, check the tubes all the way from the fender to the throttle body) for obstuctions caused by small animals using it for shelter over the winter.

Also, condensation can form in the gas tank over time, leaving you with watery gas, especially if the fuel level was low when it was parked (more air space == more condensation). Dump in a can of SeaFoam, top off the tank with fresh gas, then take it for a 5 or 10 mile drive to give the SeaFoam a little time to "do its thing"...

Can't rule out larger issues, but let's eliminate the cheap, simple stuff first.

Last edited by coreybv; 03-01-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:45 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by coreybv
Yep, the worst thing you can do to a vehicle is not drive it.
I'm still inclined to believe driving the vehicle off a cliff is the worst thing you can do to a vehicle. LOL

But no seriously, I definitely agree with possible water in the tank. I've made that mistake, I've fixed it, and I've learned not to let my baby girl sit without running at least once a week.

Give her a fill up of some mid-grade gas with that can of SeaFoam to make sure it runs it's course. A little up in octane can't do too much other than hurt the wallet a bit.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:07 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
I'm still inclined to believe driving the vehicle off a cliff is the worst thing you can do to a vehicle. LOL
Hmm... Ok, ok... Ya got me there...

(Also, just a little tip I figured out. If you pour in the SeaFoam before the fillup, the gas pouring into the tank will help get everything all mixed together, giving you faster results. If you dump it in after the fillup, it takes a good deal longer to work.)

Last edited by coreybv; 03-01-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:09 PM
jmess
Veteran

alright sounds good. i just hit the o2 sensors with the torch and checked my oil. o2 sensors looked fine but burnt them anyway. the oil however was different than i thought. i expected maybe some water spots in it on the dipstick but there were none so no antifreeze. the thing that caught my eye really quick was how little oil i had. it was close to not even being on the dipstick. so i added some but didnt have enough at home to completely fill it. ill be buying some along witht the sea foam later. but could that cause the exhaust to smell weird?

Old 03-01-2011, 03:30 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by jmess
but could that cause the exhaust to smell weird?
No, not really.

But old gas that's varnished up can definitely cause an odd smell in the exhaust. Don't know how to describe it, but I instantly recognize it. My lawn mower usually has a slightly "off" odor to the exhaust the first time I fire it up in the spring....

The SeaFoam should also help a great deal with that.

Last edited by coreybv; 03-01-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:08 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

That's good there's nothing in the oil but is the coolant reservoir full and not low? Ensure this by taking it on a trip and letting it heat up. Hopefully the white smoke and weird smell was just the engine burning some crap off. As long ad it doesn't overheat and the coolant doesn't disappear you're good.

Tap the CAT convertor and if it continues to smoke and smell weird I'd get a back pressure test. Could be a clogged CAT causing the smoke and smell.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:14 PM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

[quote=WhiteWidow00;2433224]I'm still inclined to believe driving the vehicle off a cliff is the worst thing you can do to a vehicle. LOL

OH , I thought worst thing was leaving it STOCk from the factory ...got that wrong me thinks

Old 03-01-2011, 06:45 PM
jmess
Veteran

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
That's good there's nothing in the oil but is the coolant reservoir full and not low? Ensure this by taking it on a trip and letting it heat up. Hopefully the white smoke and weird smell was just the engine burning some crap off. As long ad it doesn't overheat and the coolant doesn't disappear you're good.

Tap the CAT convertor and if it continues to smoke and smell weird I'd get a back pressure test. Could be a clogged CAT causing the smoke and smell.
I'm at autozone right now. They don't have seafoam but the do have heet. I believe I've heard heet is bad but can't remember. Also, what do you mean by tap the cat? Just knock on it to see I it make a hollow sound?

Quick Reply: low power