1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

low power

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:21 AM
jmess
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low power

first off my truck is a 98 5.9 with 132k. since its getting warmer out and theres a little less snow i finally pulled my d out of the back yard (cant afford insurance atm and needed some work done). did some cleanup, put air in the tires and threw some dealer plates on the truck and went for a drive. i got it onto the highway to clear it all out from sitting. the problem was that the acceleration was horrible. i literally had to have the pedal to the floor to get up to 65 or 70 from about 35. i have a few ideas about the issue. my first thought is that its taking in too much warm air. the tube going into the airbox was broken when i bought the truck so i pulled it off. second is that its simply just been sitting for too long. and third is just a shot in the dark. the truck was horribly maintained by the previous owner and im not sure when the last tranny fluid and filter change was. i plan on doing those as well as a band adjustment soon but could this be an issue on my lack of power? thanks for any help in advance.

Last edited by jmess; 03-01-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:27 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

It sounds like your air intake may be blocked and your air/fuel mixture is off. I'd take the O2 sensors off and burn them with a propane torch to burn off any remnants off it and make sure they're working properly. Also, it could be a TPS issue. I'm leaning more towards an air blockage problem however.

And the tube intake shouldn't affect the intake so much you're having issues you're having. Check and make sure you don't have a clogged filter. Wouldn't hurt to change it if its been a while.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:38 AM
jmess
Veteran

ok ill do that sometime this week. i plan on puttin a k&n filter on there soon since i have a cheapo paper one in there now and ill be doing that CAI people are doing on here. what exactly does burning the ends of the o2 sensors do? just clean them so they get a better reading?

Old 03-01-2011, 12:45 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yeah cleaning them burns off the gunk and build up that occurs over time that can cause it to give a false reading but not throw a CEL.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:51 AM
jmess
Veteran

ohhh gotchya. that actually brings up a new issue that i just remembered about. my speedo sensor on the rear axle is shot and i get a code on my scanner about it when i plug it in but yet my CEL isnt on. any thoughts on why thats happening? already checked the bulb btw

Old 03-01-2011, 12:54 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yes I've seen this where its a "deep stored code" and it's been performed to the point where it's fine enough to turn off a CEL but its still in the memory. Try resetting the PCM and clearing it off with a scanner.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:06 AM
jmess
Veteran

thanks. ill give that a shot.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:08 AM
jmess
Veteran

Could the bad air/fuel mixture also cause my exhaust to have white smoke and also smell strange? I convinced myself that these two things are happening because it's been sitting for so damn long but now I'm questioning.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:38 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Oh god... To be sure check the oil and make sure there's no anti freeze in the oil, and check the level of the anti freeze reservoir, but your suspicions sound like a blown head gasket.

It could be because it's been sitting however normally theres not a funky smell to it. Check oil level as well and I'd recommend puting a can of SeaFoam thru it and cleaning out any deposits that have been sitting.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 AM
redfernclan
Rookie

I had a three wheeler do the same thing after sitting. Turned out to be a mouse nest in the aircleaner. It might be worth a look, I found one on the top of the intake once after sitting for a bit.

Quick Reply: low power