1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

PCV valve broke and fell in

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:01 AM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hydra......I trust you.....I was mentioning a remote possibility of it being small enough to get tossed around and getting sucked down into the engine......again remote possibility but thought of it as a possibility none the less..

I have been wrong before......I am not too big to admit... In fact I hope to be wrong on this one.....hate to go for a entire engine rebuild for something so simple.

99....Again I really hope I am wrong.....Sleep well tonight... and remove the valve cover tomorrow....post some photos and let us know how it goes....if all goes well the piece the broke fell apart in one piece and it should be pretty obvious when you remove the cover.

Post some photos and dont forget the new valve cover gasket and sealant.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't be so hard on yourself.......LOL

Things could get stuck in a valve for instance and the valve close not before the piston makes contact with it. But in this were talking about a smaller piece of grommet whick is plyable rubber. I doubt it could hold a valve up, but has it done it before, I bet it has. Anyway, it could get stuck in an oil jacket like I said and not lubricate the motor, what I'm trying to say it is should be in there, but then again good thing it's not metal, and there is a small chance of breaking something but it's not going to make it's way into the combustion chamber.

We all learn things everyday, at least that is my goal in life. I don't care what it is, I'm going to learn something today and hopefuly help someone out on my way.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:49 PM
99-durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the valve cover off and there was a screen under it so I was able to get the pieces of the PCV out. I cleaned the valve cover and I am ready to put it back on. Does anyone have the torque specs for the valve cover on a 5.2 99 Durango???? The valve cover was actually nice and clean for 160000+miles so I take that as a good sign. The dealership cant find the specs for me for some odd reason.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:06 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Remember to lightly apply a lite coat of grease to the rubber gasket before installation to seal it and use a cross pattern to tighten it. It is in Inch pounds! Not foot lbs. So in other words, lightly snug em.

Cylinder Head Cover

Bolts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .11 N·m (95 in. lbs.)

Last edited by hydrashocker; 03-07-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: PCV valve broke and fell in