Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:50 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

n8ech, I'm not here to make enemies but to answer your question I am 31 years old and gave a nice laid out description of how to set timing. Sorry if I offended you but that's how to set timing on the 5.9 magnum engine. I have been an ASE certified mechanic for 12 years and have owned my own shop for 8 so like you, I know what I'm talking about .

You are correct that it is set by the PCM, but is adjustable by rotating the distributor like any old school distributor based ignition system.

The 4.7 however, is completely controlled by the PCM and requires a scanner to adjust ignition timing settings, but normally does NOT need adjusting.

I am sorry if I sound like an arrogant teenager but I have to stand my ground and give my information straight and how I know it. As for other Chrysler forums, I've found that 90% of them are hard to get the answers I'm looking for so I've stuck with this one and hang around here.

Once again, I'm not here to make enemies, rather I'm here to help others and make friends on here. Let's start fresh.

Hopefully you can help me and I can help you in the future.

To the OP, like n8ech said, it would really help us if you let us know what engine you have in your rig.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Silver Durango
Default Engine Size

Originally Posted by n8ech
Silver:

You still have not answered the question of which engine you have. At least not directly.

You commented about "which two coils" which leads me to think 4.7L engine. The 5.9 has one coil and a distributor whereas the 4.7L has no distributor and one coil per plug.

Whitewidow:

Just how old are you? Seems you can't make a constructive comment without sounding like an arrogant teenager. Should you look around the many Dodge/Chrysler forums here on the net, you will see that most of the time I know what I am talking about.

I also know how to "politely" let someone know they might be misinformed. Something you might want to consider if you plan on having many folks pay any attention to what you post.

Don
Hey Sorry about not giving any information on my engine it is a 4.7 Liter. I got it home after I sidestepped the $5500 pile of BS that the shop was trying to scare me into paying. They kept saying my engine would seize up or I would 'machine it to death' and that's all they would say. THere was no 'report' that they could furnish about the scan after that I hightailed it out of there
So now that there is no one to help me check to see if there is fire at the coils, I'm looking into a new scan code that says my fuel mixture is running too rich, because of an incorrectly installed throttle position sensor. Is there a particular manner the TPS should be installed? Because I just put it and when i started up my durango, the engine was racing to 4000 rpms then about a minute later, came back down to 'normal', around 800 rpm at idle.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:06 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yeah the 4.7 is factory programmed timing so I wouldn't worry about that. As for the TPS it shouldn't be too hard to figure out and if it's working fine, I'd say it's working fine. However, I would check to make sure the connections are fine and clean.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver Durango
So now that there is no one to help me check to see if there is fire at the coils, I'm looking into a new scan code that says my fuel mixture is running too rich, because of an incorrectly installed throttle position sensor. Is there a particular manner the TPS should be installed? Because I just put it and when i started up my durango, the engine was racing to 4000 rpms then about a minute later, came back down to 'normal', around 800 rpm at idle.

OK, first thing, are there any other codes being thrown besides the rich fuel mixture? A missing / poor firing cylinder will usually throw a 300 series code that should point you to the bad cylinders. On the 4.7 it's fairly easy to pull a suspect plug coil an swap it with a good (new) one and work your way through the cylinders one at a time to find a dead one.

The TPS is a plug & play part other than the computer needing time to relearn the idle speed and adjust accordingly. Depending how far off the old one was, you may have to clear the computer (disconnect the battery and hold the ignition key to start for 10 seconds, release and then recoonect the battery). After you start the engine the next time let it run for a minute without touching the gas pedal, if it's working right the idle will lower by itself.

Bad mixtures can be caused by a multitude of things, first thing to check that your plugs are new and gapped properly. I believe .040 is correct for a 2003 4.7 but you may want to double check that one, as it may be .060, I haven't done it in awhile. Make sure your connections to the coils are clean & not damaged, clean them with a little WD40 or contact cleaner if needed.

A bad fuel injector can also cause these problems, but concentrate on one system at a time (i.e. ignition first) before moving on to other areas.

Since the original issue was overheating, and it went for "a few days" (not a good idea on 4.7's BTW) it's possible that a head gasket is gone / a head is cracked allowing coolant into the cylinder(s) affecting combustion. Do a search on the forum for 4.7 overheating problems and you'll find a whole bunch of information that doesn't need to be re-hashed here.

Bottom line, troubleshoot one step at a time, post your findings here, and you'll get good advice.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 03-09-2011, 12:09 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Durango
Is there a particular manner the TPS should be installed? Because I just put it and when i started up my durango, the engine was racing to 4000 rpms then about a minute later, came back down to 'normal', around 800 rpm at idle.
YES!!!!!!

This could be your issue! It is spring loaded and you install it just counter clockwise to where the bolts holes are.

Look at the TPS then look at the throttle plate actuator, now just counter clockwise the TPS from the bolt holes and slide install the TPS then twist the TPS to the bolt hoes clockwise so it is under slight pressure from the Throttle Body plate spring and bolt it down. Twist the Throttle Body throttle plate all the way open to ensure it can open all the way, this will ensure you placed it correctly.

Now reset the PCM and call it a day.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:04 AM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

Whitewidow:

Just how old are you? Seems you can't make a constructive comment without sounding like an arrogant teenager. Should you look around the many Dodge/Chrysler forums here on the net, you will see that most of the time I know what I am talking about.

I also know how to "politely" let someone know they might be misinformed. Something you might want to consider if you plan on having many folks pay any attention to what you post.

WOW PRISSY MUCH DUDE, did your wife/Gf or Someone ream yu out , now yu pick on someone who hasn`t said anything wrong........I`m sure yu do know what yu are talking about , just not sure if reading is not your strong suit ,,,,just my opinion ,,,,,,,,

Old 03-09-2011, 09:21 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

wow, you guys are getting really hostile over nothing, why cant we all just get along

Old 03-09-2011, 09:45 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yes I agree. Lets just all get along and have a jolly time!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 AM
bowhuntmaine
Professional

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
:i con_toast: (jolly time)

Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 AM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Sorry bout that rant, i thought yu gave great answer, just got tic`d at his message to yu ,So again sorry , but i`ll do it again if someone doesn`t read the whole message,,,Damn Kokane beer

Quick Reply: Engine noise