Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:16 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I agree and I couldn't figure out why he was saying I need to back my statement up, when I did originally! Oh well. I appreciate backing me up on what I thought because I strive my hardest to not only help everyone out here, but also everyone who may read this off a search on the future.

Freakin' politics! HAHA

Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WW and 01 6.3:

Agreed that taking the high road is the way to go! My part in this is that I should have handled the comment better myself. Don't want to be one of those "Do as I say, not as I do types!"

My apology to you WW for not coming back in a professional manner. Being 45 myself, I am well familiar with the old school distributor mechanical advance of the 60's and 70's.

My experience has been that timing is pretty much a non issue unless its just not there, ie no control from the computer.

The last car I did the timing on was a ford 302 in the 79 Mercury Grand Marquis I had rebuilt at 130k due to worn main bearings.

I also had an 1983 Plymouth Grand Fury that I dealt with timing issues after replacing the timing chain.

Guys, the positive comments are much appreciated. Lets go forward from here.

Don

Old 03-10-2011, 04:13 PM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

Hey . no hard feelings here ...all is well among the Brotherhood .So forward we go

Old 03-11-2011, 12:08 AM
12HILLBILLY
Rookie

:ic on_munching:

Last edited by 12HILLBILLY; 03-11-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:35 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull plugs one at a time, get a compression tester and do a compression test on each cylinder yourself gap them when you are done testing. It is simple. The shop said you had 2 dead holes. Try to confirm this yourself. If it is true 2 cylinders will have significantly lower pressures than the other 6. At this point you are not necessarily looking at a new engine. The most common problem is a blown head gasket. After that you could be going into a cracked head, worn rings, valve seats, cracked block, etc... They very well could have been blowing smoke up your *** but it is your best lead right now. Afterwards you can confirm injectors have the right resistance with a cheap meter. IIRC injectors are supposed to be around 12k ohms of resistance each. Unhook them from their connectors one at a time and take resistance readings the should all be around the same range. read up on the electrical section if you are unsure of how to use a meter or don't understand electrical theory. Test fuel pressure at the rail with a cheap fuel pressure tester. Disconnect coils one at a time. Does your problem get worse or stay the same? If it stays the same with a coil unhooked you may have found a dead coil. If it gets worse you disconnected a coil that was working properly. Start there and let us know how it went.

You guys are getting waaayyyy off topic and scaring away the new guy.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:46 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

welcome back mean, yes we get off topic, but i dont think its scaring anyone (least not that i have heard of)

Quick Reply: Engine noise