1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New Timing Chain cover and now a squel

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 PM
radiusglass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Timing Chain cover and now a squel

I have been researching this question for days and give up. hoping someone can help. I have a 2000 Dodge Durango with a 4.7 4wd and my timing chain cover developed a leak. Agter taking it off i saw that it was eat out from the inside. Well I had a mechanic take it off and install a new one. When I picked it up the first thing I noticed was a squealing noise. He said it needed a new belt and i went and bought one and put it on. After 2 days the squeal came back. Anyways after back and forth with him and buying a new belt tensioner the squeal is still there. The only way I can get it to go away is spraying wd-40 on the ac compressor pulley.Thing is I replaced the ac and the squeal came right back. Is there something that he could have done wrong when he installed the new timing chain cover.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:30 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

There must have been something wrong he did or adjusted when swapping it out. First I'd use a stethoscope and try to isolate where the squeal is coming from and the first place I'd start to look is the belt tensioner pulley.

If he just replace the timing chain cover, there shouldn't be any problems but I'd be serious with him and ask if he adjusted or touched anything else in the engine bay. Tell him what your problems are and if he's anything close to a good mechanic he'll fess up if it's his mistake.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:03 PM
radiusglass

I appreciate the responce. I did take it back to him and we discussed at length what he did and what it could have been. I did use a stethiscope and could not pin point where it was coming from. He must be a sorry mechanic cause he did not want to admit it was anything he touched. I took to an old timer down the road that was on vac when I had my truck fixed and he showed me a trick and in doing so found it to be the belt. Even though it was brand new it was no good.

The trick for anyone wanting to know is that he sprinkled baby powder on the belt and the squel went away. So thanks for your reply and I hope to be on again but maybe for help.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Well at least it was something as simple as the belt. Good to hear it wasn't a major issue!

Quick Reply: New Timing Chain cover and now a squel