1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Magnum 360 Cam Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Magnum 360 Cam Suggestions?

I'm planning a rebuild of the magnum 360 in my 1998 Durango.

It's a strong engine...I like torque more than HP, and I want to go with a bit more aggression.

I will be boring +.030, flat top pistons, larger valves...

...and now it's time to take suggestions for a cam.

I like Comp grinds. I want to re-use the current valve train. I will build the heads after I have the cam chosen so I can use the right springs.

Anyone have tried and proven cam ideas for a 360 that offer good low end torque and a long curve?

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Why not build it into a stroker 408?

Old 03-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Sooper
Captain

I'm not going crazy and building a huge powerful engine because this is my daily driver and I want to be able to afford to drive to and from work for another 140,000 miles. Not to mention, the cost difference, and the added maintenance of a more powerful engine.

I had plans once to do a V10 swap. Not the truck V10...the Viper engine. That was top of my list. But it involved moving the radiator, engine mounts, exhaust, accessory brackets...the costs kept piling up and up and I wrote it off as something to do someday when it's replaced by a new Durango as my DD.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:15 PM
01 6.3L RT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL. i`ve built ''stroker'' and its my daily driver. i``ll dig up my build sheet for cam ''specs''

Old 03-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Biff85ta
Professional

The key to making power is in the heads. If you want more power but don't want to move it up in the rev range you have got to get a better flowing head.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by Biff85ta
The key to making power is in the heads. If you want more power but don't want to move it up in the rev range you have got to get a better flowing head.

I completely agree.

That's why I'm going to have the heads cut for 2.020 / 1.600 valves and all new hardware.

I'll have better flowing heads, slightly higher compression, slightly more cubes, and hopefully...as soon as I find one, a slightly more aggressive cam.

I already have shorty headers and custom exhaust and a cold air duct intake that pulls cold air from in front of the core support.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Biff85ta
Professional

You need to match your cam to your head flow numbers in an ideal world. Are you doing any porting? You should really give the guys at comp or crane or whoever(I don't know who is still around) a call and they can set you up right.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Sooper
Captain

You need to match your cam to your head flow numbers in an ideal world. Are you doing any porting? You should really give the guys at comp or crane or whoever(I don't know who is still around) a call and they can set you up right.

Crane went under. I understand they were bought and are back up and running but I wasn't all that impressed with them before.

I looked through some of the Comp cams as I do like what they offer.

However, I can look at numbers all day long and it won't matter as much as someone telling me they bought a certain cam and put it in a similar engine and got certain results.

I will likely do some gasket matching but as far as porting, the Magnum heads seem to have a good reputation and unless the power goals are huge the money is all but wasted.

I'm not building this engine to squeeze every ounce of power out of it as I can. I just need to rebuild the engine and wish to do it just a bit bigger and better than before.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Biff85ta
Professional

Call comp. There tech guys can set you up with a grind that will make you happy. You need to know if you are going to change convertors or anything else you think is important towards the powerband of your motor.

Oh and head flow is more important than one might think. A good port job will free up flow at low lift as well as high and can most definately help things out under the curve. The part that makes everyone skip out on doing it to a stock magnum head is the fact that they are cast iron and it is hugely time consuming to port them.

Last edited by Biff85ta; 03-05-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:05 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you doing any porting?
Originally Posted by Sooper
That's why I'm going to have the heads cut for 2.020 / 1.600 valves and all new hardware.
You must have missed something?

Quick Reply: Magnum 360 Cam Suggestions?