1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

surrounded by blown-up 4.7s

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:17 PM
01 6.3L RT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UMMM Mr White??? I be thinking cam is part of short block ,,,LOL since it is in the block right haha

Old 03-16-2011, 06:29 PM
HellzMindPlaya

Originally Posted by 01 6.3L RT
UMMM Mr White??? I be thinking cam is part of short block ,,,LOL since it is in the block right haha
Except that the 4.7 is a SOHC engine (which in itself doesn't make sense because there are in fact 2 cams in this engine, one for each head.) So in this case it would be considered part of the head, or "top end."

Now only if it was a quad cam!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quad cam engine? I bet you'll probably be buying more chains for that than your Goodwill bicycle there haha. If the 4.7 was an X8 and not a V8 engine, then you could put heads on the bottom end.

Anyways I completely agree with hydra and just about everyone else here on doing an engine rebuild/fix for a customer with used parts, especially from another beat up engine. I'm sure you took those heads into a machine shop too and got them checked are flatness and cracks before you installed them right?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

01 6.3L R/T Wrote.....

"OH goody a show is brewing here ,,Honey were`s the beer??"

+2 getting good. I would like to know what shop this is so I don't wind up as a victim....I mean customer.....LOL!!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HellzMindPlaya
Except that the 4.7 is a SOHC engine (which in itself doesn't make sense because there are in fact 2 cams in this engine, one for each head.) So in this case it would be considered part of the head, or "top end."

Now only if it was a quad cam!
SOHC references single cam per cylinder bank, a DOHC would be two cames per cylinder bank

Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yep adding to what shrp said, SOHC literally stands for Single OverHead Cam. Dual OverHead Cam is what DOHC stands for and what makes DOHC special is it has a cam for intake and a cam for exhaust.

Trust me guys I'm loaded with both useful and useless information! LOL

Old 03-16-2011, 11:47 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

I can definitely believe the LOADED part. LOL!!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:53 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

lmfao magic, your probably right tho

Old 03-17-2011, 11:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HellzMindPlaya
bottom end = short block...

I would think it okay to take the good parts from all the bad engines a make a good engine, but if you are going to install it in a customers rig you had better be planning on letting the customer know that it is from used parts and plan on giving them some sort of discount. Make it a good enuogh deal that if someone couldn't afford a used motor from a wrecker that they could buy it.

And a warrenty should be a must as well (one that covers parts and labor), unless you are going to have all the parts checkout before you use them.
You have said 2 seporate and distinct jobs here,......IMHO......To pull yourself out of a hole you dug.

Anyway, I know of NO PLACE that will waste shop time and effort, to put an old worn out parted engine together and provide a cheaper option then that of going to a junk yard and picking up a couple of hundred dollar warranted motor with low mileage. I mean, they are not EVEN in the same boat! Old in one side and used to hell in another = NOT anything better then a low mileage complete engine.

Not to mention, if you pull heads off one motor and place them on a different motor of the same size MANY of times the jackets don't line up correctly leaving and edge to crap to stick on. Us mechanics that have seen this many times before know the slight differences regardless of what the books say!

Anyway, it flat out doesn't matter, you don't take old worn and potentially damaged parts from seized/damaged motor and place them hopefully on an "ok" block or vis-verse and install it in an un-aware patrons car is pure IGNORANCE!

You simply placed a little sugar and a cone on what you already stated. This post "to most people" are gunna bite hook and sinker, but not this fish! ........In the real life, what you stated and what I stated is the painful truth and it is REALLY frowned upon in the world of mechanics.

I called you and your shop name out, but yet you don't wanna put your name or shop on the line because your not mechanic'ing right.

I am reminded by a phrase that I have learned in the real world at a favorite shop and it fully applies to YOU and this thread so here, enjoy courteous of Lelis Transmissions;

Too Much Too Little

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful pray! It is unwise to pay too much but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you leave with little money, that is all. But when you pay too little, you sometimes loose everything because the thing you bought is incapable of doing the things you bought it to do! The common law of business tolerance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot!

IT CAN'T BE DONE!

"We are not the cheapest around town, but we are putting out the highest quality for the best possible price!

Last edited by hydrashocker; 03-17-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:54 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

umm hydra he is not the OP, we still havnt heard back from him, and i dont think we ever will

Quick Reply: surrounded by blown-up 4.7s