1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

surrounded by blown-up 4.7s

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:27 PM
hemijeeps
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default surrounded by blown-up 4.7s

I own a repair business, changed 5 4.7 engines in the last two weeks. I got the great idea of putting a set of heads from one of the seized up motors on the bottom end of one of the head gasket motors and selling it to one of my customers with an install. They were both vinN motors, but once the engine was out of the jeep it was apparent that one was a 32T, the other 16T on the crank. Any thoughts on putting a crank kit in one of these motors, are oil pump problems common to these, seems like I buy a lot of used engines for these vehicles and they are very expensive.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:53 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

these engines are not at all known for being problem engines(contrary to what you read on the internet, all the so called 'problem' engines are poorly maintained), the 32t and 16t tone rings CAN be swapped out if you dont mind doing the work to swap them.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:39 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hemijeeps
I own a repair business, changed 5 4.7 engines in the last two weeks. I got the great idea of putting a set of heads from one of the seized up motors on the bottom end of one of the head gasket motors and selling it to one of my customers with an install. They were both vinN motors, but once the engine was out of the jeep it was apparent that one was a 32T, the other 16T on the crank.

Any thoughts on putting a crank kit in one of these motors, are oil pump problems common to these, seems like I buy a lot of used engines for these vehicles and they are very expensive.
I got an idea! Sell someone a new motor but put old crappy used heads on em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad I'm never going to your shop! Also you state that your placing a set of heads on the BOTTOM end of the motor......Last I thought the heads went on the top side?

Care to place your establishment name, location, and number on here so un-aware patrons can NOT go to your shop for a hosing? :i con_smash:

Anyway! To answer your question you tried to install an older motor componant into a newer motor instead of doing it correctly! Had you actually done the job that the patron paid you to do you wouldn't be in this position.

The answer is here but I won't help you shaft un-aware or un-informed patrons here.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I got an idea! Sell someone a new motor but put old crappy used heads on em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad I'm never going to your shop! Also you state that your placing a set of heads on the BOTTOM end of the motor......Last I thought the heads went on the top side?

Care to place your establishment name, location, and number on here so un-aware patrons can NOT go to your shop for a hosing? :i con_smash:

Anyway! To answer your question you tried to install an older motor componant into a newer motor instead of doing it correctly! Had you actually done the job that the patron paid you to do you wouldn't be in this position.

The answer is here but I won't help you shaft un-aware or un-informed patrons here.
WELL SAID.... you read my mind hydra.... BTW was wondering if you had a link for that??

Old 03-16-2011, 12:59 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Hmm... Yeah I don't quite follow on the heads being on the bottom end of the engine either. Maybe you got the heads and the crankshaft mixed up, really an uncommon mistake but we're all human.

And yes, bad idea to put heads from a seized up motor on the motors you're trying to fix. Just fork up the money and buy some new heads. I can't even imagine puting used heads on a rebuild, let alone used heads from a seized engine.

I'm hoping you at least replaced the valves and valve springs. But then again, probably not...

That will be the day someone in my shop puts old heads on an engine they're rebuilding for a customer. That will be the day that guy becomes un-employed.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:30 PM
HellzMindPlaya

bottom end = short block...

I would think it okay to take the good parts from all the bad engines a make a good engine, but if you are going to install it in a customers rig you had better be planning on letting the customer know that it is from used parts and plan on giving them some sort of discount. Make it a good enuogh deal that if someone couldn't afford a used motor from a wrecker that they could buy it.

And a warrenty should be a must as well (one that covers parts and labor), unless you are going to have all the parts checkout before you use them.

Last edited by HellzMindPlaya; 03-16-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:38 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I've always considered the bottom end to be crank, rods, pistons and pans. The top end being cam, lifters, push rods, heads, intake and throttle body.

Normally the head gaskets are the dividing line with the exception of cam being top end.

Short block, long block, top end is top end.

Last edited by WhiteWidow00; 03-16-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:20 PM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

OH goody a show is brewing here ,,Honey were`s the beer??

Old 03-16-2011, 04:15 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Especially from a seized engine. I'd imagine if it seized up it's going to be more f'ed up than a Goodwill bicycle!

Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 PM
moparmuscle
Amateur

haha nice comparison whitewidow but this is a prime example why i do all my work on my d

Quick Reply: surrounded by blown-up 4.7s