1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Front end rattle driving me crazy.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:52 PM
samnbensdad
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have to remove the boot. I can't remember exactly what you have to remove to make room... possibly the hub and upper ball joint.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the take the boot off, then the shaft will just slide right out of the splines.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:23 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

It really depends on what the parts store is selling you. If they include the hub that bolts onto the differential, then you just remove all those bolts and you don't have to remove the boot. If they sell just the cv axel itself and you just see two splined sides, then you have to remove the inner boot to slide out the old axel from the hub bolted onto the differential.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:24 AM
samnbensdad
Captain

The cv axle with the two splined sides was only used until September 2000. We're talking about a 2003. It has splines on the wheel bearing end only. The transfer case end is a splined "female" end. A short (~6 in) splined shaft connects the axle to the tc. The whole axle comes out as one piece.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:34 PM
jaster
Amateur

All of this is beginning to give me second thoughts. I was going to do this in my driveway on jack-stands.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:48 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

The most difficult part of the job is usually getting that nut broken loose. You've already done that. I recommend you search youtube to see how it's done.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:00 AM
jaster
Amateur

Well, thank you all so far for the help. I have been away and unable to work on the D for a week or so. Anyway, drove the D today and now when i move from a dead stop, there is a slight thump, then rattle, rattle, rattle. The thump is not felt, just audible, kinda like metal hitting metal. So, I have been going crazy trying to figure this out, and then the wife was in the car and said "You know honey, it sounds like the noise is louder on this side", she was sitting in the passenger seat with the window open. Sure enough I found a torn boot on the drive axle, the boot closest to the tire, and grease on the lower ball joint. So, I guess thats the problem. After 2 weeks of tearing apart the drivers side, 2 weeks of driving around like a moron, with my head out the drivers side window in the freezing weather, rain, trying to hear what the noise was, it appears I was on the wrong side of the truck. AAARRRGGG!!!!!

Anyway, I am going to figure out where to order a front drive axle from, and attempt to pull the old one out. I went as far as the ball hub on the drivers side, never figured out how to take the drive axle out, so this will be a new adventure on the pass side.

Quick question, in order to diagnose this problem prior to tearing apart the truck, is it possible to add grease to the boot and see of the noise goes away, and that way i know thats the problem? I just hate to tear this thing apart again like I did to the drivers side, only to fond out that it's not the drive axle. I don't know how to take the drive axle out and hate to tear all this apart only to find out i am wrong again.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Well the boot is something that needs to get replaced soon or later, you can try adding grease to it and seal up the boot so it doesn't come out again and make a mess all over the place. If the cv joint is worn badly grease will only fix it for a couple minutes. I'd just try to check for any play in the cv axel, it's possible to replace just the boot if you're possitive that cv axel is good.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:15 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

really no way to add grease into the cv boot w/o it slinging back out as soon as you start driving

Old 04-02-2011, 01:56 PM
jaster
Amateur

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
really no way to add grease into the cv boot w/o it slinging back out as soon as you start driving
Ok, thanks. I was going to replace the entire axle anyway, they are only 70 or so online. I was more hoping that adding grease would quiet it, if even for 1 few minutes, thus confirming that the rattle is indeed from the axle. I live in military housing, and they tend to frown upon people tearing apart their cars in the driveway, so I was hoping to confirm I found the problem before tearing apart the car, that way, I would not have to do it again.

Quick Reply: Front end rattle driving me crazy.