1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Front end rattle driving me crazy.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

No,

The bearings are gone at this point and you need to do a full replacement. They are acutally easy to replace, but if you are not sure just have a shop do it for you.

I always have people with their windows open or outside looking when trying to diagnose a problem. When inside the cab noises bounce off soo many things you will in most cases find the problem in a different place than where you thought it was in the first place.

Anway, lets call it the right part shall we, it's not a drive axel, it's a Front CV joint also known as a CV Half Shaft.

You were almost there when messing with the wheel bearing. From removal of the wheel bearing all you have to do is ensure the brake caliper is tied up, remove the carter pin from the tie rod, loosen the tie rod nut to the top of the threads (not remove) and smack it with a hammer to knock it out of the knuckle, remove nut and lower tie rod end, remove upper ball joint buy removing carter pin and nut and smack the knuckle, turn the knucle to the front side and swing the knuckle down enough that you can twist out the CV joint from the knuckle.

Grasp the CV and pop it out of the front diff. If the bushing comes out thats ok just remove it and don't screw it up. Replace the bushing, and put the CV up and ensure it pop's back in to seat it. Remember, check to ensure you got the right part before installing!

Re-assemble.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 04-02-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup if you replaced a wheel bearing you had just a few more steps to go, nothing to it.

If anyone frowned on my for fixing my car in my driveway I'd tell them to go pound salt and they are just jealous that I can fix stuff myself and not pay other people to mess it up and do it wrong.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:33 PM
jaster
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info everyone. Off to Pep Boys on the morning to see if they have a cv half shaft in stock. I will go ahead and attempt this myself and see how far I get.

Evon Trizmo, technically the house belongs to the unites States Army, and my family and I are "borrowing" it for the time being. I have to play by their rules. They usually don;t get upset unless the car is on jack stands for an extended stay. That's why i am trying my best to diagnose this issue before tearing into it.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Ah, well it shouldn't take more than a half a day. if you're on task that is haha.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:02 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

PM me if you have problems.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:15 PM
jaster
Amateur

Got the shaft out and replaced. Thank you all so very much for your help. Unfortunately the rattle is still there. So on to my next thread.....

Old 04-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

At this point it sounds like something is just loose and putting it in 4WD just puts more strain on the part causing it to rattle more. You'd probably have better luck pinpointing the problem exactly with a live microphone on a stick while driving or something than replacing more parts at this point. Just go over every single thing with a fine toothed comb, the noise is coming from somewhere.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:07 PM
kiltkop

Originally Posted by jaster
Got the shaft out and replaced. Thank you all so very much for your help. Unfortunately the rattle is still there. So on to my next thread.....
I've got this exact problem too. I am leaning toward there being something wrong in the front diff. I don't want it to be there, but that is what it seems to be. I guess I'll just have to pull the diff pan off and take a peak inside.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

The orignal poster started a new thread on what he found his problem to be, which was a worn cv joint on the front driveshaft, take a look at there first and check it for any play.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:23 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

no cv shafts on the front driveshaft, they are on the axle half shafts

Quick Reply: Front end rattle driving me crazy.