1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

power steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:58 PM
DangRango_orby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation power steering

I have had my durango for 3 years now and i have replaced my power steering pump 2 times out of those 3 years and it sounds like this pump is going out too! Should I upgrade pumps to a bigger one or go to a dealer and get one?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you do a complete PS fluid change? There might be junk trapped in the hoses or your steering rack that can cause the pump to fail. Also make sure you go to the dealer and get the special type of PS fluid to put back in. Also are you buying these pumps new or used? If they are used you might just be having some bad luck with them. Mine makes a clanking sound when it spins for years but still works so I don't worry about it.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:20 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

you should definitely buy a new pump for it, if you are getting remanufactured pumps that is 90% your problem

Old 03-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Also new pumps have a warrenty, usually one year. But don't let that keep you from doing a complete fluid purge/change, and of course, put in only the correct fluid type from your dealer back in.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have a steering box you are supposed to change the box, lines, and pump.

If you have a Rack and Pinion, you are supposed to change out the R&P, lines, and pump.

The main problem is; when any of the parts go out they flood the hydraulic system with impurities including metal and other. If you replace only one part then you hook it up those impurities go through the system and rain hell on the good parts and bearings causing pre-mature catastrophic failure.

If one goes out you should do the whole system or rebuild yours if you know how.

Next, using the right fluid and buying the right pump might be your problem. If your pump was made to run Brown fluid and you are putting in red then that will cause it to go out. You will need to call a dealer and ask them what fluid type you are supposed to be using, then ensure you are also getting the right parts. Red fluid can be replaced with ATF+4 but not the Brown fluid.

Brown fluid can only be bought at the dealer!

Old 03-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Ah come on hydra, who replaces all that stuff when a pump goes? haha but you are 110% correct, especially when a pump goes it will most likely start pumping in metal shavings and junk in your PS system, if you replaced your rack and pinon (since you have a 2000 D), lines, new pump, and your PS fluid cooler, then you will have no more problems down the road. I'm not sure is there's a such thing as a PS fluid purge that will get all the junk out of your rack assembly though.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:02 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well in his case I think there could be 2 issues. Again with using the incorrect fluid or tained fluid would cause repeated pump failure.

Not sure if he has R&P steering though. I thought 2000's were box. But who knows on that damn cross over year. Indy might chime in to help us out. My 2000 manual states it's R&P?

Never heard of a "Power Steering System Purge", but I would think you could do it with a lil PS fluid and compressed air?

Old 03-19-2011, 01:05 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

I never heard of a PS system purge either haha but just the idea of pushing as much fluid under pressure as possible through the system to blast out any contamination and junk in the system. And I can't stress enough to use the correct type of fluid in your pump. When you buy the pump new from the dealer parts counter, ask them what fluid it takes and get some of that too. As hydra said there's two different types.

The 2000 year was certainly a funky one for the Durangos, you kind of get the best of both worlds, new engine avaliable, new steering system, old interior, life was good.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:08 AM
Mean Green
Champion

New interior is waaaayyyy nicer. I'd just keep my manual linkage for the transfer case...

Quick Reply: power steering