1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Engine revving issues!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Gemeinschaft
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I replaced the TPS today. First of all, the TPS is supposed to be held in by two bolts, only one was present and the sensor was loose to the touch [ Problem? ]

I replaced the sensor, secured both bolts and followed the instructions to the number.

Second, I found out that when my mechanic had checked for a vacuum leak using a smoke machine, he had not secured the air intake back into place, so air was getting into the system at the mouth of the throttle body.... [ Problem? ]

This same mechanic made adjustments to the program on the computer to compensate for how the vehicle was acting and that seemed to help in it's crippled state... But now, with the correct TPS installation and a closed air system, there are new issues.

LOL.... Here we go

The truck runs fine now, starts quickly and sounds like a sewing machine at idle.

All is great until I give it some gas and let up off of the accelerator.... Let's say I get up to 2000rpm and take my foot out off of the accelerator -> It dies.

I tried to reset the computer by unhooking the negative battery terminal and turning the key for 15 seconds. Reconnected the battery and started up at idle for 15 seconds. Shut off and then took it for a drive.

The engine died after I took my foot off the accelerator.

I guess I should mention that the mechanic mentioned above is now in a rehab facility for a drug problem and had I known he was this bad off, I would have gone somewhere else.

The good news is, I am throwing a code now so at least I will be able to hook it up to follow the code and see what might be going on.

The bad news is, I am thinking that I will have to be hooked back up to a computer to readjust the settings in the program on the computer.

Anyone have some ideas?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:31 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i have never heard of a mechanic w/ the ability to write a program for the PCM, sounds to me like he lied to you somehow bc i have no clue how he could have made a change unless you have an aftermarket PCM in your truck.

that said, try putting the a/c on and see if the truck still dies, now try going for a drive and when get get to a parking lot shift into reverse as if you were going to back into a parking space and let us know what happens, i have been hunting down an issue myself so if your symptoms match ill share what i have gotten so far (i dont want to share unless its relevant or i know i have it figured out)

Old 09-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Gemeinschaft

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
i have never heard of a mechanic w/ the ability to write a program for the PCM, sounds to me like he lied to you somehow bc i have no clue how he could have made a change unless you have an aftermarket PCM in your truck.

that said, try putting the a/c on and see if the truck still dies, now try going for a drive and when get get to a parking lot shift into reverse as if you were going to back into a parking space and let us know what happens, i have been hunting down an issue myself so if your symptoms match ill share what i have gotten so far (i dont want to share unless its relevant or i know i have it figured out)
I can back up fine, it idles fine, it even accelerates okay... Let off the gas and it dies.

If you give it a little gas before the RPMs get below 500rpm, the idle returns to normal.

Very strange.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Gemeinschaft

Just got back from crawling to and from Autozone.

Apparently the CEL that I am throwing now is "Throttle Position Sensor - Low Voltage"

I just changed the TPS yesterday, but I may have gotten a bad TPS out of the box. Once it cools down, I am going to pull the TPS and exchange for another one to see if this resolves the issue.

[/crossing fingers]

Old 09-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Gemeinschaft

Exchanged the TPS for another one.

I am good to go.

Very strange to get a bad part out of the box, but i guess it happens.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:56 PM
tooltime
Veteran

Originally Posted by Gemeinschaft
Exchanged the TPS for another one.

I am good to go.

Very strange to get a bad part out of the box, but i guess it happens.
How is it doing?

Old 09-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Gemeinschaft

Originally Posted by tooltime
How is it doing?
So far, so good.

Apparently, the TPS that I first installed was faulty out of the box.

Now, it purrs like a kitten.

I found out last night that you can spin out a Durango at 15 mph.... I had a car run a red light as I was proceeding into an intersection and I turned to miss getting hit --> Slide

The bad part was, I had to keep with the slide until I had nothing to the outside. When I stopped the slide, I apparently over-corrected and did a 270 degree spin into the curb. By the time I hit the curb, I was doing all of 5 mph so it only hurt my pride.

I have spun, slid and otherwise abused SUVs while working overseas, but the Durango handles completely different. I need to find a place where I can go out and slide and learn how to control it under those kind of conditions.

Just to be clear, the intersection was wet after a few days without rain.. My son and I were not hurt other than scaring the hell out him. LOL

Quick Reply: Engine revving issues!!!!