1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

P0171 Code and getting 9MPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ha well guess I spoke too soon, 100 miles later the same code and symptoms are back, then the tranny blew. So it's a done deal now. I'll get $200 for it at a junkyard and I'll find me a small neon or something much better on gas. I got 200k out of it, that's good enough for me. RIP durango.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:59 PM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh ****... That sucks man. Sorry to hear it.

If your 98 is in even slightly rough condition, that tranny will probably cost as much to replace as what you could sell the whole truck for with everything working. Combine that with what's currently happening with gas prices, and I can definitely relate to your decision to switch to a small, 30+ mpg car...

Will be much easier on the wallet, but I bet you'll be sad for awhile every time you stomp on the gas pedal and nothing happens... Or when you actually have to start being fearful of snow drifts... LOL....

I've got a 98 D with a blown tranny, too. Not letting it go for junk yard prices, though. Just going to park it until I can swing the cash for a tranny, then turn it into "my toy"....

Sorry to hear about the bad news, man....

(How about shipping it to a junk yard up here in Iowa? They all seem to be low on Durangos, and I sure do need to scavenge some parts.... )

Last edited by coreybv; 03-25-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

You can't beat $1000 for a neon on craigslist, we'll see how many problems that thing has haha. "Stomp on the gas pedal and nothing happens" hahaha.....oh wait nothing ever happened before in my D either haha that's how bad it was.

Maybe I might do what you are too and let my D sit in my backyard for a few years untill I can get that fixed up and running just to have one again. If anything I'll keep it around just to listen to all my LPs and 8 track tapes because it has the only players I own haha. All the good memories and adventures I had with my D are enough not to junk it, but I still wouldn't mind taking a baseball bat to it for all this garbage it put me through these last few months.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:25 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by Evon Trizmo
All the good memories and adventures I had with my D are enough not to junk it, but I still wouldn't mind taking a baseball bat to it for all this garbage it put me through these last few months.
Now that's something I can relate to... LOL...

My 98 has pissed me off, caused me nothing but trouble for the last 6 months, but for reasons I can't explain I love the damn thing and just can't bring myself to let it go. (Hmm.... Sounds almost like a wife... LMFAO... )

In any case, if the boneyard will only give you a couple hundred, and you have a place to park it where it won't be in the way, why not hang on to it for awhile? Ohio isn't all that different from Iowa, and I know around here it's definitely nice to have a 4WD truck around every now and then, whether it be for snow, occasional towing, whatever. Hell, if you change your mind you can always take it to the junk yard in 6 months and get your $200 then...

When I decided to keep hold of mine, my wife said "Fine, but if we keep it then that damn thing is YOUR ****ing problem from now on!". My redneck mind heard that as "I now have my toy that I can lift, put big tires on, and do whatever I want with"... LOL... How could I possibly let it go?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Ha nice. I'm not sure how "Redneck" your town is over there but here you aren't allowed to park a car on your lawn (residential property) for more than a month without insurance on it. I'll just hang onto it untill the neighbors start complaining, but they already hate me and the D for the week I had the exhaust cut off it haha.
Driving it home was way too hard, I just wanted to ram it into something like a telephone pole or the car in front of me so it could be done with, then I hear *bang! clunk clunk grind* and see a trail of tranny fluid and parts behind me on my street and just go "yes!" I probably the only person that was happy to have their tranny explode on them.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:41 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by Evon Trizmo
Ha nice. I'm not sure how "Redneck" your town is over there
Ever heard Jeff Foxworthy's "If you've ever mowed your lawn and found a CAR! You might be..."

Yeah, that's pretty much where I live.... LOL....

On another note, you probably should have gone for the telephone pole. At least then you'd have an insurance check on the way...

Old 03-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Well you can pick up another one for your collection then haha, just keep it hidden in the tall grass and your wife won't see it unless it has some dirt on it then watch out. According to Mr. Foxworthy, wives can't see the check engine light come on in their cars but they can see a spec of dirt a mile away!

Old 03-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

So I got bored and started messing with the D somemore. Anyone think it could just be a bad PCM? This thing is original and maybe it just pooped out on me now. Still getting the too lean code but replaced the O2 sensors twice and it's still running rich. Unplugged the MAP sensor and it ran way worse almost like it was out of gas. The IAT sensor isn't giving me any resistance on my multimeter but when I unplug it I get a code for it and my scantool shows it having some pretty warm air flowing in there so I assume it's working fine.

Quick Reply: P0171 Code and getting 9MPG