1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Newbee question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:25 PM
uscg charger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbee question

Hello I'm Jason nice to meet you guys/gals. My buddy is working on a 2001 Durango 4x4 5.9L with a (focked up) transmission. He received the truck and the owner says it needed a new trans. b/c it was slipping through all the gears. The fluid high on the dipstick. But the owner insisted to change the transmission. So we changed the trans and now it stays in 2nd gear (it might be 3rd but we think it's 2nd). Is this a PCM or TCM issue? Is there an actual separate TCM from the PCM or are the combined into one unit?

What is the next step here?

Jason

Last edited by uscg charger; 03-26-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:32 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

there is no tcm on the 5.9l engines, that was only used on trucks w/ the 45 and 545rfe transmissions (4.7l engines), first thing i would do is try shifting the truck manually thru the gears

our local transmission expert is a user known as Master Tech, im sure he will chime in soon, if not feel free to pm him and he will be able to point you in the right direction

Old 03-26-2011, 04:45 PM
uscg charger

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
there is no tcm on the 5.9l engines, that was only used on trucks w/ the 45 and 545rfe transmissions (4.7l engines), first thing i would do is try shifting the truck manually thru the gears

our local transmission expert is a user known as Master Tech, im sure he will chime in soon, if not feel free to pm him and he will be able to point you in the right direction
Shrp,

Can't shift manually through gears.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:05 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Sounds like you are requiring a band adjustment pretty bad. When was the last time the bands were adjusted, and when you say you can't shift manually thru the gears, do you mean it doesn't shift or you literally can't move the gear selector?

Old 03-26-2011, 05:13 PM
uscg charger

the selector moves but doesn't shift into gears... I just reset the PCM by unhooking the battery and holding the key in the start position for 30 sec.. then I test drove it and it shift fine until I stopped then it wouldn't shift out of 1st.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:14 PM
uscg charger

ITs not throwing any codes

Old 03-26-2011, 05:51 PM
uscg charger

It seems to me that it's either the PCM or the new Transmission causing the transmission or stay in 1st after it stops. What would cause the transmission to tell the PCM to stay in 1st gear after it was reset and shifted fine until the first stop sign?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd just make sure the valve body is clean. If a shift solenoid was bad it would most likely throw a code. If it's stuck in 3rd gear, it's in limp mode for one reason or another.
Also where did you get this new tranny? rebuild, new, used? And make sure you're using the correct fluid in it too, the wrong type will cause some whacky problems.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:31 PM
uscg charger

Originally Posted by Evon Trizmo
I'd just make sure the valve body is clean. If a shift solenoid was bad it would most likely throw a code. If it's stuck in 3rd gear, it's in limp mode for one reason or another.
Also where did you get this new tranny? rebuild, new, used? And make sure you're using the correct fluid in it too, the wrong type will cause some whacky problems.
The tranny that's in there now is from a junk yard. Is 1st gear a limp mode?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3rd is.

I'd pull that valve body and just make sure it's clean for peace of mind. It's either that or eletrical, transmission seems to work just fine since all is good untill it needs to downshift.

Quick Reply: Newbee question