1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 rango frt diff

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:54 PM
ekz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have removed the entire front drive train from my 2000 D with no negative effects what so ever. i have been driving it for about 8 months now and i have noticed barely any increase in gas milage. i removed the components because my cv boots kept ripping and i got tired of replacing them

Old 03-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you remove the cv axels completely from the wheel hub too? I think that was the big debate on this thread.

You won't notice any MPG difference with 4FT and 2WD and no front driveline. The engine has plenty power to spare. Now if the D had a 2.0L engine, then you'll start noticing some MPG gains.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

If the D had a 2.0 engine then we would have many more performance problems than the drive axle......just sayin!!!!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Screw a little dinky 2.0 L engine. I love my 5.9 and say F the gas mileage and love bein able to say I'll own you and your little rice burner to the next light and across town, pulling a damn trailer!! WOOT WOOT

Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Oh for sure, I'm just saying you'd need a much less powerful engine that's in the D to notice any MPG difference between 2WD and 4WD.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

+2 widow.....I hate the fuel mileage as much as the next person but I like having the power available when I need it. Western PA has a lot of hills and mountains I like the power.

AMBER CAUTION: We are starting to get off thread again......resume normal thread heading.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Well any news or update from the OP?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
I'll own you and your little rice burner to the next light and across town, pulling a damn trailer!! WOOT WOOT
Been there and done that!........LMFAO

I had my riding lawn mower on the trailer and when I took him he wouldn't even look at me as I drove by!......You could tell he was PISSED!

Old 03-31-2011, 02:04 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

LOL me too hydra. Actually I was pulling my cargo trailer and it happened to be on a very light day but still. Owned the guy in his little Honda Accord and he made it look like he actually wasn't trying to race.

Although, everyone peels out and burns rubber when the light turns green right? LOL

Originally Posted by MAGIC84
AMBER CAUTION: We are starting to get off thread again......resume normal thread heading.
True, so I say how did it go DURANGOWIFE?!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:56 PM
DURANGOWIFE
Default Front diff removal

I am planning on doing it this weekend. The weather has been delaying the job(snow,wind,cold) because only half the rango will fit in shop so the door has to stay open. Reading the posts, You guys really get off track. I am not doing this for better MPG, i am doing this so I can still drive the vehicle without worrying about frt diff grenading on the road. This is a temporary fix that won't cost me anything, which is good because I have no money right now. I was trying to find out if anyone had any experience with this type of project. I still have not seen any solid answers. My biggest concern is the front hubs. Do i need to have the cv stub shaft in to hold the bearing together. I know on chevy trailblazer, 2wd and 4wd take the same hub, 2wd not having a shaft through, and others do need a shaft with nut. Does anyone know if the Durango needs the shaft going through it or is it fine without. The better mpg was just hopefully a positive result.

Last edited by DURANGOWIFE; 03-31-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 01 rango frt diff