1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

? on front wheel bearin hub repl,

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:30 PM
neilb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, got it, , I only managed to get the driver side done, , but she is running nice and smooth now, so I will do the other at the weekend. Just in time I think, as there was a fracture in the metal where the splines are for the drive shaft, not too many more miles before a major breakdown !.
Not too bad of a job in all, to break the axle bolt I just used a 24" breaker bar, and pushed up on it with a 2 ton floorjack, no drama at all. Breaker bar was bending a little, then I heard a crack, reset everything and did it again, bloody easy, perhaps I got lucky.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:20 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup the breaker bar + jack does it everytime, when you see it bend just whack it with a hammer once and it snap the bolt loose. Getting a socket on the hub bolts is tricky to not damage the cv axel boot.

It's a shame though the inner and outer bearing races are pressed around the roller bearings so it's impossible to rebuild anything on those. I got a steal on mine, $42 for a pair, free shipping too, on ebay, just some cheap generic replacement stuff, but it's been doing amazing for putting 72k miles on them and a lot of jumping, offroading and mudding, not a single problem. Maybe I just got lucky though.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 AM
neilb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I did'nt even have to hammer it, guess I got lucky, but I learned how many ways you can use a jack years ago drilling water wells, and having to fix the old rigs up, went onto oilrigs later, but then everything was done for you, but to cut a long story short, why stomp on a long bar when you can use hydraulics. Must admit though, I was surprised how much bend my "Harbour Frieght" 1/2" drive 24" breaker bar held up, bugger was bending big time but it sprung right back.
No probs with the bolts at the back, just a regular 14mm socket with a 2" extension, turned the steering one way, then the other, got em no problem.
I had fun it was not too shabby, and I will do the other side at the w/end,
Oh, if none of this makes sense, well I do like a beer after a bit of work.;o)

Last edited by neilb; 03-30-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:05 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Evon Trizmo
My service manual says 123 ft. lbs.
Correct,

INSTALLATION
(1) Install the hub/bearing into the steering
knuckle and tighten the bolts to 166 N·m (123 ft.
lbs.).

(4) Install axle nut and tighten to 235 N·m (173 ft.

Quick Reply: ? on front wheel bearin hub repl,