1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Changed plugs- now a bunch of codes. Help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my Champion Copper truck plugs from NAPA. Now I am using Champion IR truck plugs. Still kicks *** today and engine idling/running perfectly. It's got 30k miles on the IR plugs and they still look new as the day I bought them.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 PM
SumAmerican
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you simply just have wrong coils on the wrong plugs.. reposition to follow the correct firing order

Old 03-29-2011, 06:47 PM
tacotory

Originally Posted by SumAmerican
you simply just have wrong coils on the wrong plugs.. reposition to follow the correct firing order
Can you please explain what you mean in more detail? I understand getting the wrong plug wires on the plugs in an older system, but in this system, the wire is right next the the coil- doesn't reach to a different one. I took off one coil at a time and changed the plug one at a time, so there were never two removed at the same time anyway.

Do you still feel there is something that I could have done to affect firing order?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

i suppose i didn't read that far into your post.. if you replaced them one at a time then they should be squared away..

Old 03-30-2011, 07:38 PM
tacotory

Well, I changed out the Autolite plugs with the OEM Champion plugs (RC12MCC4) and PRESTO!- runs great again. I haven't been able to get the codes cleared yet to confirm that there aren't any codes remaining, but it's back to running great!

BTW- is there any way to clear the codes without a scanner? I can take it by a parts store tomorrow and get them cleared, but I'm anxious to confirm if the Champions solved the whole problem.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:50 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Sorry you had to go thru changing plugs twice but good thing you got those POS plugs out of there. There's a reason Wal-Mart sells Autolite and not Champion.

Nothing against Wal-Mart though because they have best price on my oil.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:04 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Originally Posted by tacotory
BTW- is there any way to clear the codes without a scanner? I can take it by a parts store tomorrow and get them cleared, but I'm anxious to confirm if the Champions solved the whole problem.
To do it on the Durango take the negative connection off the battery and clear out of the way. Turn the headlight swith on and turn the key to START as if you were going to start it up and hold it there. Once you've held it there for 30 seconds turn the headlights off and take the key out of the ignition. Replace the negative cable and start the engine.
Leave it running for 15 seconds and turn it off. Turn it back on and you can drive like you normally do and everything will now be reset. (Copied/pasted from another post by you, Widow )

Old 03-31-2011, 01:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tacotory
Well, I changed out the Autolite plugs with the OEM Champion plugs (RC12MCC4) and PRESTO!- runs great again. I haven't been able to get the codes cleared yet to confirm that there aren't any codes remaining, but it's back to running great!

Thanks for all the great advice.
Another bonified classic case reveiled, and thus the reason I HATE Autolite plugs!

At the top of this tread in the first post is instructions on reseting your PCM and clearing all codes. There is also instructions on how to get the codes that are on the PCM in there as well. Concitering you have a 2001, you don't need a scanner for anything to do with the PCM. Also it has all your code definitions: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ine-light.html

Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Funny this story should come up today. I was at A/Z looking at spark plug sockets/universal/extensions for the task of making a dedicated spark plug socket and welding the socket to the extension. Labor courtesy of local body shop BTW!

Anyhoo, I get the socket, universal and extension and ask about plugs. FYI I am A/Z rewards and for every $20 I spend I get one point after five purchases I get $20 off my next purchase. Trick is I have to spend $20 at a time....if I pay $40 in one purchase I get credit for one purchase. If I spend $20 then another $20 it is considered another purchase, so I try to spend at least $20 but try not to go too much over.

So since NAPA Does not carry Champion Truck Plugs anymore, model got superceded by Irridium plugs I ask A/Z. Champion does carry a Irridium model for $7.99 but I am not convinced. A couple of quick text messages to FastDango03 (D.O.C. President) and IndyD later and both of them say NAY TO IRRIDIUM... long story short Champion Copper OEM and only $1.99 each. Eight plugs and universal just a shade over $20 so I get the credit and on my way.

Plugs still not changed yet, I dropped the socket off to body shop and told them to call me when it is done. Been a while since the post but I believe Widow was a contributing factor in the suggestion to have the socket welded to the universal. Thanks for those that contributed. Body shop doing welding labor as courtesy next time they have welder powered up for repair. Although labor is free I am tossing in a gift card for the local wing place they can have a nice wing order for lunch.

By welding the universal to the socket I should be able to just insert the extensions as needed and change plugs. This way the socket does not get stuck in the spark plug chamber when I install the plug.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:37 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yes the welded on universal spark plug socket is a great idea and actually did it for myself. Also, as far as Iridium goes they are okay for the engine as long as you're not stock. They are a bit higher on performance and have a bit colder fire.

The reason I run Iridium is because they have a cleaner fire and I am running MSD ignition distributor and 6A box so I need a colder plug so I don't kill the plugs. I also have Iridium gapped to .046 due to the same reason.

Long story short, when in doubt just get the cheap Champion Copper! LOL

Quick Reply: Changed plugs- now a bunch of codes. Help please!!