1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Changed plugs- now a bunch of codes. Help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 PM
tacotory
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed plugs- now a bunch of codes. Help please!!

So I changed the plugs in my 2001 4.7 durango last night and today it is running rough. I checked the codes and it threw P0302 (Cylinder 2 misfire detected) and P0353, P0355, and P0358 (Ignition coil 3,5,8 circuit malfunction).

I don't get what could be happening here. It was running fine before I changed them, just seemed like it was time (135k mi). All the coil wires came off easy. Coils came off each plug easy. Plugs came out easy. Everything went back in easy. No difficulties as all. The plugs I put in are the same ones that came out of it- Autolite 5224. Gapped to .040" per NAPA recommendation.

Any ideas what could have happened?? I feel like I should get some advice before I start chasing my tail.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Obviously you did something while doing the tune up. Are you sure the retainer clips are on and the coil packs didn't get damaged while replacing the plugs?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 PM
tacotory

Thank you very much for your response.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "retainer clips". Can you please elaborate?

As for them getting damaged, I did them one by one and set the coils carefully aside while swapping the plugs. I can't see how any damage could have happened to them while they were off.

Last edited by tacotory; 03-28-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:54 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

make sure all your connections are tight on the coils, and make sure you got the coils back on the right plugs

also sounds to me like someone else changed the plugs before you, iirc the factory plugs are champion copper cores, if you have anything but a copper core plug in there it could be part of your problem

Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
also sounds to me like someone else changed the plugs before you, iirc the factory plugs are champion copper cores, if you have anything but a copper core plug in there it could be part of your problem
The Autolite 5224 is a copper core, however not OEM. Champion Copper is OEM for the vehicle, the only reason the guy at NAPA said the Autolite is what it came with is because most NAPA stores don't sell Champion. They should work and not cause a problem, however getting that many codes makes me suggest rechecking your work and like shrp said, check and make sure all the connections are tight.

Sorry I meant retainer nut. Make sure it is snug down and not any loose or it will cause misfires galore and engine codes. I work on so many engines on a daily basis and some of the newer Ram trucks use retainer clips rather than nuts.

Doing a quick research online, are you absolutely sure the plugs you took out were Autolite and not Champion? The Autolite Copper heat range is 4, and Champion's Copper heat range is a 12, meaning the Autolite is a much colder firing plug and this could be your issue. Thus, making it an even colder firing plug than the Bosch Platinum.

Autolite Copper:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-2

Champion Copper:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-2

Last edited by WhiteWidow00; 03-28-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:11 AM
tacotory

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00

Doing a quick research online, are you absolutely sure the plugs you took out were Autolite and not Champion? The Autolite Copper heat range is 4, and Champion's Copper heat range is a 12, meaning the Autolite is a much colder firing plug and this could be your issue. Thus, making it an even colder firing plug than the Bosch Platinum.
Interesting. The plugs that came out were definitely the Autolites (one of the first things I checked to see if I got the wrong plugs) but it sure sounds like there is a big difference between the Autolites and the Champions.

I know I got the coils back on the same plug they came off of because I did one at a time. Maybe I should get a set of the Champions tomorrow and start from scratch?? If I am going to take each one apart to double check connections it seems like it would be worth getting a plug with the correct heat range in there. Agreed?

Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah put stock back in and make sure when you plug the coils back in that you feel the click. If they don't click on maybe the contacts got spread. Your coils may also be shorting to ground. It may not be a bad idea to use some dieelectric grease on the plug terminals.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Definitely agree with that because if you want to make sure, check the sticker under your hood that has information and type in the spark plug code on google and are what you pull up. I'm like 99% sure it's Champion Copper in your vehicle but its weird that was what was in it before.

It makes me wonder if you had some Autolite Iridium or something in there prior other than copper. I definitely know though, the colder heat range definitely should have something to do with your issues including misfires.

Also, adding to Mean Green, definitely always put some die electric grease on the head and not a bad idea to put some anti seize on the ground electrode.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 AM
tacotory

Thanks for all the advice. I'll get that stuff done today and report back.

Thanks again!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I HATE AUTOLITES!

Well, Champion Copper is definitely the OEM plug that went into that motor. So if Autolites came out of it somebody changed them already at least 1 time before. Regardless, they change plugs with the times in slight variations so regardless, pull those POS plugs out and get some OEM Champion Coppers (look under the hood on the sticker for your exact plug number).

Next, you will need to gap the plugs before you install them! You should gap them at .040 BEFORE installing them. If you don't know how ask the parts man. Don't ever smack the electrode, you bend them with a tool to get to your gap.

In fact, if you didn’t gap the plugs before you installed them, well that would give you your problems. Regardless, pull those POS and put the right plug in.

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
the only reason the guy at NAPA said the Autolite is what it came with is because most NAPA stores don't sell Champion.
Actually, yes they do sell Champion plugs. The problem is that they are under contract to push the Autolite name brand as the customers first choice.

They stopped selling the Champion Truck plugs which was my all time favorite plug. You can still order them from places like www.summitracing.com or www.rockauto.com however.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...022023+5999999

Quick Reply: Changed plugs- now a bunch of codes. Help please!!