1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Trans fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:20 PM
99_DURANGO_23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans fluid??

Ok so how do i add tranny fluid i checked the level with the dip stick and it needs some. i have some tranny fluid to put in it i just cant find a way to put it in.PLEASE dont say i have to drop the tranny to do it.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 PM
ccthomp
Professional

The transmission dip stick tube is your fill point use a funnel to fill it and you should be good to go.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 PM
neilb
Professional

Hi, you need to drive your truck a few miles, get your tranny warmed up, then park on level ground, with your foot on the break pedal go trough your gears slowly a couple of times , then check the fluid level, maybe someone else will chime in here but I believe thats the proper way to do it so that the trans fluid is destributed into the "Gubbins" and you get a proper reading on the dipstick.
Oh yea, and as stupid as it seems, as the last poster said, the dipstik tube is where you fill it, ...well what bloody Numpty though of that ?????

Last edited by neilb; 03-29-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:55 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Enjoy it while you can. With the trend towards sealed transmissions it seems the days of even checking the fluid on modern day vehicles are quickly being numbered. I understand the major advances in fluid techology but I am old school and enjoy at least checking my fluid to determine if it is low or burnt.

Getting slightly off track for a quick minute. Local dealer tells me that with Android phones,, MP3, Flash Drives, I phones, I touch, I pods and other portable media, that the automotive CD player may be meeting its demise soon. Going the way of the floppy drive.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:59 AM
neilb
Professional

Originally Posted by MAGIC84
Enjoy it while you can. With the trend towards sealed transmissions it seems the days of even checking the fluid on modern day vehicles are quickly being numbered. I understand the major advances in fluid techology but I am old school and enjoy at least checking my fluid to determine if it is low or burnt.

Getting slightly off track for a quick minute. Local dealer tells me that with Android phones,, MP3, Flash Drives, I phones, I touch, I pods and other portable media, that the automotive CD player may be meeting its demise soon. Going the way of the floppy drive.
Well no disrespect sir, but what help was that to anyone ?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:37 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

LOL it may be not too helpful but the question was answered so why not throw some useless information in there! It actually is true though with transmission the way they are these days, a computer will be reading if it's getting low or needs replacing. Strange world this is turning out to be.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll have to forgive magic. He didn't take his meds that morning...LOL!!!! But seriously, Warm up the D, park on a level area, foot on brake and e brake on, run through the gears a couple of times, leave the shifter at neutral, get out and measure the dipstick a couple of times to make sure, and fill if needed.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neilb
Well no disrespect sir, but what help was that to anyone ?

I don't take it as unhelpful or useless info but, as a hard look at what we will most likely see in the future of the automotive industry......

15 years ago when PA started doing Emissions testing and i was getting my first truck inspected for the first time the tech (witch was a good family friend) was telling me how Emmissions testing was the states way of kindly weeding out the older vehicles (pre 1985 at the time) i thought that he was on crack and was just rambling on but, sure enough here we are 15 years later and dammit that man was right!

It is very rare to see anything pre 1990 on the road for everyday use... yeah you have your hot rodders and monkey wrenchers that keep a few of the older ones on the road but, its becoming more and more of needing an act of god to get it passed though Emissions. Even the vehicles from the 90's are starting to get hit hard with it.

I can see a time where vehicles only option for service is thou a dealership or a repair shop of some sorts... We as a society have become lazy to the point that putting in a quart of oil is to hard of a task. It is much easier for most people in there "busy" life's to have an iphone or something like it to tell them its time to tell someone to fix it.

I for one and not giving up my older vehicles (not without a long, hard fight first) i will keep fixing whatever i need to and drive it till there is no longer gasoline around to fuel it or there is no longer parts to fix it.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

I didnt mean to ruffle any feathers guys, but Thanks Widow and Old School even you too Dan, despite the meds joke.

Again the question was answered, yes I might have gotten slightly off topic but so be it. This is after all a forum.....

From Wikipedia: "An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages."

This was a discussion of transmission fluid checking...... which the point was made that someday in the not too far distant future this question wont come up because the average driver wont even have the ability to check fluid even if they do want to. I personally don't like taking it to dealers for fluid checks. Ties up my day, takes there time away from stuff that needs attention to detail like engine changes, transmission overhauls etc..

Old 03-30-2011, 03:18 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Did I miss it... or did anyone inform the OP of the importance of using ATF+4 fluid? Make sure you use it ... NOT a multi-purpose transmission fluid!

Quick Reply: Trans fluid??