1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission Advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard of ATF+5, only -5. But if they can show you some bottles of ATF+5 then I suppose that's what they really did put in there. At least they didn't dump dexron or mercon in there, but not using certified ATF+4 will certainly decrease the life span of the trans and cause weird problems.

Here's a site I found, looks legit I guess. I believe chrysler is still using ATF+4 to this day because they keep improving the formula.
http://www.centerforqa.com/home.html

Old 04-06-2011, 12:48 PM
ToyMaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well then I guess my best option if they dont show me the bottles is wait a week to see if the Truck is infact fixed and then bring it to another shop and have them flush and refill with ATF+4. I just dont want to do it until I know it does not need to go back as they most likely would not refill it with the same.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:59 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Well it's confirmed ATF +5 is real but rarely used. In fact we only have a couple 5 gallon jugs of it in the shop rather than a huge quantity of it. Its a not commonly used fluid and is actually recommended in the new 2011 Ram 4500 and nothing else that I've serviced yet.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:07 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyMaster
Well then I guess my best option if they dont show me the bottles is wait a week to see if the Truck is infact fixed and then bring it to another shop and have them flush and refill with ATF+4. I just dont want to do it until I know it does not need to go back as they most likely would not refill it with the same.
DO NOT FLUSH, you should PURGE the transmission in this case, a flush will cause ALOT of trouble

Old 04-06-2011, 04:27 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Well shrp he's getting a rebuild done and has shards of clutch in his pan as it is so a flush would probably be his best bet to make sure it's all out of the system and not going to ruin his new setup.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:31 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

thats a different thread widow, i just re-read this one and he hasnt opened the pan up by himself, only the shop has, and flushing the cooling lines is what i believe we suggested in that case(or maybe flushing it before it was rebuilt)

heres the guy your thinking of https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-problems.html

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 04-06-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Ah good call then maybe I should wait a little later before hitting the bottle... Or maybe not!

Yeah definitely don't flush it if you don't have to, like shrp said only purge the fluid out because flushing it will trash the system in ways you don't want it doing.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:51 PM
ToyMaster

Well I just got off the phone with the shop. the are giving me a line that they put a remanufactured torque convertor in and that is what is causing all the problems.

Last edited by ToyMaster; 04-06-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Someone got the shaft!

I was thinking about this (and yes I'm sober right now) and I think I understand what they were talking about. I bet they used 5+ quarts of ATF on the refill......LOL....Meaning they used the incorrect fluid anyway. That sounds more plausible!

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Well it's confirmed ATF +5 is real but rarely used. In fact we only have a couple 5 gallon jugs of it in the shop rather than a huge quantity of it. Its a not commonly used fluid and is actually recommended in the new 2011 Ram 4500 and nothing else that I've serviced yet.
And there is the conflicting information. I had heard they where formatting a new fluid for the newer trucks, but the fluid is a DEALER ITEM ONLY! Didn't know they actually had it in anything other than a test truck, well I guess they are "testing" it in a truck, one that doesn't have the warranty like the other trucks hints the use in the 2011 Ram 4500........LMFAO

Can you get a manufacture name off the bottle?

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Ah good call then maybe I should wait a little later before hitting the bottle... Or maybe not!
I thought that was my designated line.....Better move over......LOL

Old 04-06-2011, 08:34 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I was thinking about this (and yes I'm sober right now) and I think I understand what they were talking about. I bet they used 5+ quarts of ATF on the refill......LOL....Meaning they used the incorrect fluid anyway. That sounds more plausible!
I also took a gander at this and thought about it and usually the large amounts of fluid for ATF +4 you buy in 5 quart jugs rather than gallons like other things so maybe someone just misread it. IDK!!

I just know ATF +5 is a dealer only fluid and yes hydra, I will get that part number for you when I go in...

Quick Reply: Transmission Advise