1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission Advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 PM
ToyMaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Advise

I just bought my Durango a month and half ago. I got it from a private seller and the main reason I purchased was he just had the transmission rebuilt 1 1/2 ago and it came with a warranty that was still valid until December this year. After 2 weeks of driving my transmission went crazy, first started with the engine light, then lost overdrive followed by numerous other issues that would sometimes go away for a bit after stoping and going into park. As you can guess I took it back to the shop that did the work and they had it for 2 weeks. When I got it back the fuild was overfilled and leaked but it drove much better and they said they rebuilt the valve body. After a couple days driving I noticed a drag in reverse when it was cold and shifting from 1 to 2 was not the best when it was cold. I brought it back in and they had it for 2 days, fixed the fuild level and said they had 3 drivers test it and found no other issues. Well today driving it again after about 40 minutes of driving it stated having issues shifting from 2 to 3, if I puched on it, it would shift into 3rd or if I put it into nuetral and back again it would go into 3rd.

I am going into the shop again on Monday to talk with them again and was hoping I could get some advise on what they could check since they are having issues locating the problem and mentioned in the begining it might be the computer module.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There isn't a transmission module that I know of in that year. With all the sporatic iusses I would suggest they replace the govenor module and make sure they use ATF+4 fluid and not multi-vehical fluid.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

hydra is correct, no transmission control module in 99,

Old 04-05-2011, 12:06 PM
ToyMaster

Well after fighting with the shop and having a test drive with them, it is back in the shop. As far as the ATF+4 they said they used ATF+5 would that make a difference?

Old 04-05-2011, 01:38 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

No it is not the same thing! ATF +5 is a very new fluid and recommended in like 2009 and newer Chrysler vehicles IIRC. It is not made up of the same compounds to my knowledge, and TBH I'm not even sure how available it is and most don't know there is such a thing.

Make sure they only use ATF +4 and nothing else!!!

Also, IIRC ATF +5 is a dealer only fluid so I doubt if that shop uses it unless it's a dealership. Make sure they're not confusing ATF +5 with ATF-5 because ATF-5 is simply a universal transmission fluid.

Last edited by WhiteWidow00; 04-05-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:57 PM
ToyMaster

Well I just sent an email to the shop with this information and also told them if they replace the ATF+5 with ATF+4 show me the empty bottles I would reimburse their cost of the fuild. Is it at all possible this could be causing all my issues? What I have been experincing since the first time getting it back is
1) When it is cold and first reversing in the morning it feels like a drag
2) sometimes it humps between 1st and 2nd 2 to 4 times
3) after it has been running for 30 to 45 minutes has issues shift from 2nd 3rd
4) there maybe other issues but these are the major ones.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 PM
ToyMaster

I doubt there is a way, but is there a way to tell which was used??

Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yes the wrong fluid causes all sorts of problems in the transmission. Also, there is really no way of being able to tell without getting a sample and sensing it in for analysis which is usually more of a hassle than it's worth.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

From what I understand, ATF+5 is not a fluid, in fact it hasen't been made????

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...n-Fluid/page2?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:37 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yeah I'm not 100% sure on my claim I made and I'll second check at work today if there is such a thing. I'm sure of all places a dealership would be able to tell me if it's fact or fiction.

Also, get the used bottles of the ATF +5 so you know they're not yanking your chain on that one because one can say they used ATF +5 and then show you the ATF +4 bottles when they used 2 different types of fluid.

I'm not sure about this one however. My dealership will know and I'll bring back information later on.

Quick Reply: Transmission Advise