1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 durango oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:33 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 durango oil change

so i changed my oil about 2 or 3 months ago and have been driving it everyday arround town and on the freeway and took a couple long trips and what not... as of late i probably drive 90 miles a day+

so i just checked my oil again yesterday and it read extremely low so i added about a quart... so my question is is how often does everyone recomend changing the oil on durangos.. usually its like every 3-6 months and 3000 miles...

Old 04-15-2011, 02:35 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it depends on the oil you use i use mobil 1 10w30 and go every 5000 miles

Old 04-15-2011, 03:39 PM
srch4me
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok... hmmm... ive checked and dont think im leaking oil

Old 04-15-2011, 03:53 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I change mine with Mobil 1 very religiously every 3,500 miles. I don't have to worry about the "or 3 months" rule because I drive more than 3,500 miles in 3 months so just after mileage and I'm good to go.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the best way to get your drain plug off when some a$$hole used a impact wrench to tighten it?? i did try to use my impact driver to get it off but, i didn't work and i stopped cause i was worried about breaking it.... any ideas?

BTW sorry to steal the tread but, its a related ? and i didnt want to start a new thread....

Old 04-15-2011, 04:50 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Old_School
What is the best way to get your drain plug off when some a$$hole used a impact wrench to tighten it??
Wow! Umm... if the impact driver didn't work I'd say put it up on a lift and get the longest breaker bar you can find and have someone hold it on the drain plug and pound on that sucker as hard as you possibly can. I know it's a weird position that's why I'd say get it on a lift if you can.

If not take it to your local dealership and bring your own oil and filter and more than likely they will change the oil for around $10. I know we have the tools at my dealership to get that sucker off. If not we have more than enough people to come up with another idea.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:59 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

check your owners manual, if you drive all highway and not in extra dusty conditions 5000 miles per change is plenty frequently enough (thats what i change mine at, the manual outlines the change schedules for you very clearly) and if your doing 90+miles a DAY you do not need to worry about the time.

btw my truck uses ~1/2qt per 5000mile oil change interval

Old 04-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Jveley96

In my opinion, the brand doesn't matter, the only difference is the viscosity, synthetic or non synthetic. Its kinda like buying gas, its all the same $hit.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:09 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jveley96
In my opinion, the brand doesn't matter, the only difference is the viscosity, synthetic or non synthetic. Its kinda like buying gas, its all the same $hit.
Them are fightin' words there brother! You couldn't be more wrong!

I've personally had an engine fail on me from using Quaker State synthetic with the proper viscosity and when I tore the engine down, the heads were all gunked up with a wax like residue all over them and they looked in rough shape. I blame the oil for this because I cleaned it very throughly when I bought the vehicle and it wasn't like that when I got it.

Vica Versa my Durango was factory filled with Mobil 1 10w-30 (that means I ordered it from the factory with Mobil 1 in it's system) and just recently I did a complete engine overhaul. I tore the engine down and lone and behold, the internals looked brand spanking new! The engine has 127,000 miles on it and they all looked brand new and I trust Mobil 1 with everything from my rear-end to my transmission now.

Mobil 1 IMHO is the best of the best from what I've seen and I've also heard hydra has a similar story that he can vouch that it is the best you can buy. A statement like buying oil is like buying gasoline is just flat out wrong and it is not the same ****.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:17 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i am of the school of thought that as long as you use a brand name oil of the correct viscosity and stick with the same brand throughout the life of the engine you will be fine, yes some brands are better than others, but as long as you get a good, well known name brand you should be fine. yes synthetic is better than dino oil but is not necessary for long engine life.

Quick Reply: 98 durango oil change