1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 durango oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

He does hit on some good points however he is incorrect.

The molelules are the same or close to the same diameter. The base oils are just more refined to take all the crap further out of it. Think about it this way, oil has sand like particals riding on the molecules. A less refined oil has more "particals" then a high refined oil because a higher refined oil gets broken down further therefore loosing the particals and becoming very smooth.

If you take sand and run it over a bearing the bearing is going to wear out faster then if you put oil on it's surface as a lubrication right? Of course it is! So when it comes to Fully Synthetics over convention oil the oil base is just broken down to a better lubrication then that of conventional oils. All oil including gear oils and motor oils are made out of the same oil base, they just have additives in the oil base to for the use that it is intended for. Also in this mix are detergents and other properties depending on the weight and use.

Now if you mix a conventional oil (remember a less refined oil base) with a Fully Synthetic oil (remember highly refined oil base) then you get a blend. Now think about this for a second? You took a high refined oil and put a low refined oil into it, well you just defeated the purpose because you just took a nice highly refined oil and placed the sand (partincals) back into it! You did nothing but lower the quality back to a conventional oil.......This is not good and a waste of money! Blends are nothing but a conventional oil that you pay more money for because they took that same high particular crap from conventional and put it in the good stuff!

On a other note, the base oil used does not break down, only the additives in the oil and breaking down of vital engine parts as well as soot from blow by from normal combustion. This is why they can recycle oil, they just remove the additives from the oil base and reuse the oil base.

Now lets talk about Fully Synthetics. FS oils are highly refined as stated and the same additives are added as their conventional cousins, they have to have all the same additives to be ran in the same engines and such and they are Federally Regulated to meet specifications set by the car manufactures and by the law. That being said they are the same thing, however they have a bonus! The base oil doen't have any crap in it so it won't wear out the bearings like the conventinals do (remember becasue they are highly refined). The other thing they do is concitering they are FS oils they put better and more detergents in the oil. The detergents and clean oil molecuals then cycle through your engine breaking down all the crap left from the convential oils used in the past! They also have better seal lubricants in them so your seals don't break down and crack resulting in leaking.

Now if you have an old gasket that has created a deposit in a slight weaping hole from the conventials then here comes good oil detergents, well it cleans them up but now it starts to weap again out of that old weak spot. It doesn't create them, they were already there, it just made it more noticable now. Same thing like between your pistion rings, it cleans the crap out of them and now you might burn a little oil because now it can get by because the deposits are gone. And lastly it sits in the bottom of the oil pan and with the new clean seals it weaps from those little spots.

Now if a person uses it all of it's life you are going to go more mileage between oil changes, have a cleaner less worn engine, and you just saved thousands over the life of the vehical. Now if you have used conventinals all of it's life and there is like over 120k on it I would probably not use FS oils, however if not I would use it period.

BTW<------Mobil One oil is the best in my honest opinion, I just use FS.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:41 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm and Mobil 1 is Full Synthetic not a blend that's were he always suggested anything but synthetic. Mobil does make blends and Dino but their synthetic line is the Mobil 1.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Next, can someone explain how and why an impact gun would be used on an oil drain plug? [/SIZE][/FONT]

Not sure myself... it was done by the dealer that i bought my D from when they changed the fluids.. what scares me is it was done by there "ASE CERTIFIED" professional... do they teach this at school now?

Old 04-16-2011, 04:25 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Old_School
Not sure myself... it was done by the dealer that i bought my D from when they changed the fluids.. what scares me is it was done by there "ASE CERTIFIED" professional... do they teach this at school now?
HELL NO!! When I went back to renew my certification they very strictly said never to use air power tools on something as delicate as a drain plug and to only hand tighten it then give it a little bit with a socket to snug it down.

I'd take it back and complain to the service manager and get them to do an oil change free of charge for your inconvenience LOL.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
HELL NO!! When I went back to renew my certification they very strictly said never to use air power tools on something as delicate as a drain plug and to only hand tighten it then give it a little bit with a socket to snug it down.

I'd take it back and complain to the service manager and get them to do an oil change free of charge for your inconvenience LOL.

Its just a small mom and pop used car lot... the father spent the last 50 or so years building a good name for the lot and in december of last year turned the lot over to his kids (son and daughter) so he could retire... ever since then the kids are building a reputation of screwing people badly. only reason i bought it there was it was cheap and i knew what i was getting into.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:08 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's too bad, people want money and they'll do it anyway they can. That's sad!

Old 04-16-2011, 09:54 PM
MN_DeeDee
Amateur

WhiteWidow - you are correct. I checked the sticker on the car and it said I had Mobile Clean High Mileage oil and not Mobile 1 High Mileage oil. My mistake.

Hydra - thanks for explaining the composition of oils.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

I've been using a mix of walmart (supertech) oils, castrol high mileage, mobil 1, and lately just a bunch of cheap quaker state oil. Like Hydra said there's no point in switching to sythetic once parts are worn and the damage is done. I've always had a problem with engine sludge and kept trying different oils to clean it up a little bit but you'd have to do about 10 oil changes to see some results, best way to clean your oil sump out without taking things apart is just dumping a can of seafoam in there and driving with O/D off for about 100-200 miles then doing an oil change, you'll be surprised what kind of stuff comes out now.

To get the best bang for your buck with oil changes find a firestone, conrads, walmart, and give them a 5 quart jug of the oil and even a filter you want them to install, they'll take like $10-$15 off a $20 oil change (walmart really jacked their prices up lately, conrads gives me oil changes for $18.95), so for the price difference they also top off all your fluids and do a whole list of things that come with a standard oil change. Of course make sure they actually put the oil you gave them in, you never know these days.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Evon Trizmo
I've been using a mix of ... oils
this has been shownd to aggravate the problem bc the additives packages are not always compatible

Old 04-17-2011, 09:37 AM
DrewsDurango98

my auto instructor told me a way to clean the engine is to drain the oil and replace the filter. then when u put more oil back in it put 4qts oil and 1qt tranny fluid. Drive it a 100miles or so then change it again with just oil. he said the tranny fluid has more detergent then oil so it will clean it up. Sounded iffy to me but this guy has been working on cars for 50years. I did it to a ford I had and it didnt hurt a thing.

Quick Reply: 98 durango oil change