1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:34 PM
the_skin_eater
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission woes

First off, sorry to post a new thread on this... I was searching, and yet get no results. (searched "transmission" and got no results, even though Im looking at the sticky on the first page...dont know)

Second...
Its been awhile...Welcome, the_skin_eater.
You last visited: 01-03-2007 at 03:24 AM
ha

Ok...

My mother has a 2003 Durango. 4.7L 4x4 Dont remember mileage.
The transmission pan was rusted, and had been leaking slowly for a few months now. I got under there to check it out the other day. Found the leak, and in doing so I accidently broke off the rust that was keeping this a leak. After I did that, fluid was steady streaming out of the pan.

Let it sit for a week until I got a new pan for it. (lucky just bought myself a new car the day before, so I let her use it)

Yesterday, I replaced the pan and filter while I was there. Filled it back up.
Started it back up, and it was having troubles shifting into gear. Figured it was a lil low, so I checked the levels, and added a little more.
A note on this.... I did not have a chance to "properly" check the fluid..Needless to say, its definitely way too full now. (dumb rushed mistake)

Well, it still doesnt want to shift at all... My mother did take it for a spin yesterday, and while it got her around, it was bad enough that I gave her my car today.

Oh...Prior to me poking the hole in it, everything seemed to work just fine. So its obviously a correlation to something I did.

Sooo... In my attempts to fix this quickly so that I get my car back....

-I need to drain some fluid...But not the issue causing the problem...

-When I put the new filter in, I could not get the little gasket out that goes over the neck. So, I left the old one in there. (again, limited time)
Can this cause problems if that is not a good seal? Or is it just to ensure everything goes thru the filter?

-I was reading several topics about the front and rear band. Is this something that really goes out of whack when replacing fluids? Possible culprit? Like I mentioned above, no issues prior to fluid drain. (also didnt know about those things till after I had the pan on and noticed something wrong)

-Any other thoughts?

Appreciate any insight!!

Last edited by the_skin_eater; 04-18-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

So you left the pan off until you got a new one? Was it exposed to the elements or was it covers up by some wrap or something of the sort? If not its likely something got in there and contaminated the transmission and might have burned a clutch pack.

Also you have an '03 with the 4.7 so that means you have the 545rfe transmission which doesn't use bands but rather uses clutch packs.

Also, did you use ATF +4 rather than a multi vehicle transmission fluid. If not this could be the case because of different components used in the fluid and different viscosities. Never use Dexron or Mercon fluids in a Mopar transmission.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

The seal should have been replaced. No matter how old it is.Because if the filter neck doesn't have a good seal, it will suck only air. No fluid. You did state if the ck engine light was on. Just so you know, when replacing a pan a filters, the transmission will take 7 to 10 qts of atf.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:40 AM
the_skin_eater

I did not take the pan off until I swapped it out. I just merely left the car sitting until then.
Had a bucked under the leak to catch all the old fluid.

I did indeed use +4 fluid.

That seal had me wondering for sure... I did try to get the old one out, but it was in there pretty good. The fact that is was low 40's didnt help me to try harder at getting that thing out.
I will try to get that old seal out and put the new one in. Saved it for the chance that this would happen.

Also, you say 7-10. Seems about right for what was drained out into the bucket. Didnt expect to see that much though.

The CEL is on, but that has been on and off due to some emissions stuff. Might be on for other reasons now.

I will try to re-drop the pan in the next few days, and replace the filter seal then. See if that works or not.
Any tips for getting that out?

Appreciate the inputs guys.

Last edited by the_skin_eater; 04-19-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would start with 6 quarts first and go from there. DO NOT OVERFILL! Instructions are all over in here.

You have a 4.7L so that means you have a 45RFE transmission. You will have 2 filters on that one. A screw in (oil filter) type and a flat main one. There are no adjustments on that trans.

Quick Reply: Transmission woes