1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Bucking, hesitation, and no power! Emissions problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 12:23 AM
TimsD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prescription7
The D never threw a code to begin with. I reset the computer after the pvc's and 02 changes. Since then i've driven it a good 100-200 miles. But still, never had the check engine light on to begin with. Weird right? Thats why i made sure to get it scanned with a proper scan tool. Thougt maybe something would come up, but nope.

Sweet, i'll get my buddies voltmeter and the spark coil right away.

Seriously thanks for all the help guys. Even if this doesn't solve the problem it'll help me tons if I take it to a shop. It'll give them less to screw me over on and save them a few steps.
Sorry to dig up an old thread but if you are still on here, and found the problem, let me know. I have the same issue right now. Thanks, Tim

Old 03-22-2015, 12:20 PM
prescription7

Oh damn haven't been oh here in a while!

The problem ended up being one big issue and some small issues. First off, the transmission was pretty much blown and needed a rebuild. Secondly the wiring harness that goes under the car and is tucked above the transmission was completely melted. All the wires were exposed and were touching each other which shorted out some of the sensors in the transmission, messed up my 02 sensors, and fried my PCM.

I had to get my transmission rebuilt, my wire harness from the back of the truck up to the engine (any wires under the body of the truck) rewired, replace the 02 sensors (the front one made the biggest difference), and I had to replace my PCM. Once I got all this done it drove like a brand new truck.

So if you're having almost the same problems as I did I recommend you check all the wiring under your vehicle first, definitely replace the 02 sensors anyway, and if your problems are exactly like mine look into the mechanical state of your transmission.

*Quick update about my Durango*

I had to sell it and I regret it every single day!!! :''''(

Old 03-29-2015, 10:26 PM
TimsD

Wow, and it was running when it was this messed up?

I definitely need to check the wiring then...my 4wd indicator light has been flickering too.

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:08 AM
prescription7

It was limping around. Definitely check out the wiring if you notice the light flickering. Apparently in some situations where the vehicle is towing something pretty heavy and is making it work pretty hard, or heavy 4x4 usage without any cool down is what causes the wiring to bake and melt.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:34 PM
TimsD

Can you tell me a little more about the location of the melted wires? I looked as best as I could but didn't see a problem.

I replaced the pre-cat o2 sensor but still the same issues.

Thanks, Tim

Quick Reply: Bucking, hesitation, and no power! Emissions problem?