1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Breaks and Evap Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Freak_Leg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaks and Evap Question

My truck is a 02 4.7 Durango 4x4.

1st - I keep getting a small evap leak code. Other than the gas cap what else should I be looking for to correct this?

2nd - If I wanted to swap in bigger front breaks could I bolt up set up from a later model ram or 05+ Jeep GC? I know the Jeeps have huge front breaks and to pull this off I'll need some 17inch rims. Does anyone know if the brackets will bolt up and align right?

Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look under the truck just behind the drivers seat and you'll see a black box with two hoses coming off of it. Check both lines for cracks & replace / repair as needed. Note that on one of the lines each end of the hose is a substantially different size, so you'll either need to get the dealer part for it or use an adaptor connector attached to appropriate sizes of hose. Mine was pretty dry-rotted.

Can't help you on the brakes, sorry!

Bob

Old 04-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Freak_Leg

Originally Posted by Bobman
Look under the truck just behind the drivers seat and you'll see a black box with two hoses coming off of it. Check both lines for cracks & replace / repair as needed. Note that on one of the lines each end of the hose is a substantially different size, so you'll either need to get the dealer part for it or use an adaptor connector attached to appropriate sizes of hose. Mine was pretty dry-rotted.

Can't help you on the brakes, sorry!

Bob
Thanks I'll roll under there if it ever stops raining

Old 04-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Freak_Leg
Thanks I'll roll under there if it ever stops raining
I hear that... I'm gonna start building an ark pretty soon!!!
BTW, the CEL won't clear right away, so either clear the codes by resetting it or just drive it through a few (3?) complete warmup / cooldown cycles and it'll clear itself.

Bob

Old 04-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Freak_Leg

Yeah, the parts store by my house allows free use of their computer scanner, and I have a friend who is a mechanic for a Chrysler dealer. So I have the CEL covered.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

no to my knowledge the 05+ jeep brakes will not fit, but you could swap the brakes from an 03 durango which are bigger and they can be made to fit with a bit of work.

the evap leak could be a bad gas cap, or a cracked evap line at the charcoal canister (the one under the drivers seat, it has 4 hoses going to it iirc) there is a write up in the DIY thread on this repair, the lines could also be cracked under the hood, look carefully

also to clarify, the engine will reset the code after a certain number of test cycles on the evap system once the problem is fixed, i believe the number is 5, and the evap test does not run every start up cycle, the engine needs to be completely cold, and warm up all the way on each cycle, so it may take a couple of days(or reset it yourself by resetting the computer)

Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 PM
neilb
Professional

Esiest thing to reset codes without all the pratting about is to get a cheap scanner, I got mine from Harbour Frieght for $40, to work on my mom in laws Hyundai, but I use it on the D cos it gives you the code and a read out of the problem without having to search through the code index, and clears the codes at the push of a button, course they still come back if you dont fix the problem, but its worth every penny.

Quick Reply: Breaks and Evap Question