1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New Generic China made audio deck for Chrysler

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 PM
drroy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you missed the point of my post. The brands I mentioned were were ones that have lower priced double din GPS receivers and review well on crutchfield. And I am sure those brands share many components as the chinese made ones...isnt eveything made in china these days?

I when it came time buy a GPS reciever, i didnt think twice, I replaced the OEM HU w/ a kenwood DNX5120 and the thing is great, hooked up real easy, works great, Ipod and rearview camera hooked up no problem and easy to operate . And when it came time to update the firmware and maps it was straightforward with plenty of online info and kenwood customer service if i would have needed it. From now on I will simply not own a veihicle w/o a GPS headunit, I love the thing and its not even one of the better ones on the market. Compare that to the ones coming out of china - google "chinese double din GPS" and you will see what i mean... you will see the "glitchy" and "does not work" mentioned often.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with Chinese no name electronics, some examples:
-knock off ipod nano i bought for my 8 year old niece a few years ago, $30 who could go wrong? It looked identical...and that was about it. It ran a windows CE user interface and was impossible to navigate. Within a half hour of giving to her she had wiped the entire device, because it was as easy to delete the entire operating system as it was to play a song....replaced by real Ipod
-OBDII scanner i purchased a few years ago - CAN compliant and reads live data for $100 how could i pass that up? would not read live data and bricked after I was told by seller to update the operating system...replaced by actron CP980
-Mini split a/c , at $700 it was half the price of name brands, worked great until it didn't, havent had much luck with the warranty or customer service, replaced w/ LG minisplit

Moral of story you get what you pay for

Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rob[GL]
First of all, pretty much everything is made in China, I wouldn't be suprised if most of the components used are exactly the same.

Secondly, Kenwood and JVC (as well as Clarion) are all pretty rubbish. Not exactly the first brand names that come to mind when you talk about reputable car electronics.
You bring up a good point,

I like the sound of Pioneer, and that is the best in my opinion because they play the sounds in the area of what I like. Sure there is this and that....Bose being one of those, but good old fashion Pioneer has never let me down for what I like.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a pic of a double din install a member did over on the DOC forums.. i think it looks really sweet...

Old 08-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Compactc9
Veteran

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
You bring up a good point,

I like the sound of Pioneer, and that is the best in my opinion because they play the sounds in the area of what I like. Sure there is this and that....Bose being one of those, but good old fashion Pioneer has never let me down for what I like.
My Durango came with Pioneer system already installed in it. It originally had the Infinity one. The guy I bought it from said it was a $500 system with all new speakers. I have no idea what the speakers are, but the system sounds very good and the head unit is easier to use than any other aftermarket radio I have used, and its the first one I was able to figure out how to set the clock on.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:37 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

I love Pioneer. It's what I use in all my vehicles. Including my Durango.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check this site out. They have quite a few different OEM knock off gps/dvd systems for Chrysler makes and seems so far, they have them for 2nd gen Durango/Dakota systems!

http://www.autodvdgps.com/chrysler-n...ion-c-100.html

Damn, still looking around for 1st gen system. The china made system will not fit our 1st gen without cutting the dash to raise the height somewhat. I don't want to go there if I can avoid cutting the dash.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:19 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice!

I just want a drop in stereo that has HD channels, USB or SD, a DVD would be nice tho not needed, a CD, and personally in Pioneer that will fit the 1998-1999 Durango/Ram OEM system. Is that so hard to ask?

Old 09-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Old_School
Here is a pic of a double din install a member did over on the DOC forums.. i think it looks really sweet...

got a link to the DOC forum to know more about his project?

Old 09-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensai
got a link to the DOC forum to know more about his project?
Here is the full thread.... http://www.durangoclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14115

Quick Reply: New Generic China made audio deck for Chrysler