1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tranny coming out - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:40 AM
70Cuda4Speed
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny coming out - suggestions?

Was changing the oil in the D the other day and noticed tranny fluid all around the transmission pan. I couldn't find a source, so I took it in to a local shop. Asked them to replace the filter, adjust bands, tweak the line pressure and, of course, find the source and deal with the leak. I was hoping for the leak to be from the pan gasket or filler tube O-ring. I wasn't that lucky. The shop called me up and said the fluid was coming from somewhere inside the bell-housing, so the transmission will have to be removed from the vehicle to address the leak. They said it could be the front cover gasket, front seal, or possibly a crack in the TC.

So now I've got an appointment to take it back and have the transmission removed next week. I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions of worthwhile things to have done while the tranny is out?

I've got 125000 miles on the rig, and never had a problem with it. I do tow a small camping trailer, and I've been considering upgrading that to something around 6000 pounds. The D is a 5.9L with factory tow package and 3.92 gears, with 4 wheel drive.

I had talked to the shop before about putting in a Shift Kit, but they were cool to the idea of doing that to a transmission with that many miles on it. They were the ones that suggested tweaking the line pressure to increase it slightly. Anyone have any experience with different torque converters-maybe one that would work good for towing? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Also, anyone know the amount of labor hours to remove and re-install one of these trannys?

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2011, 10:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I would just do a over sized torque converter. As for names, well there are a lot of good manufactures out there. I had a Hughes, but each to their own. As for the shift kit, install a Transgo kit. Slightly upped pressure was a good idea in my eyes.

Now I wouldn't just install a shift kit on a worn transmission with that many miles, personally I don't think it could handle it.

While the trans is out you could think about over hauling the motor, but at a least you should replace the 2 freeze plugs on the back of the motor!

I've seen guys that will pull a trans for like $300.

I've been considering upgrading that to something around 6000 pounds
What do you mean?

Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

What hydra stated, is exactly what I have on mine and I tow 6,000# as a light load on a daily basis. I'd recommend beefing it up by replacing the torque converter, doing a shift kit and re-adjusting the bands.

Also, how much towing of that trailer do you expect to be doing if you do get it? I just upgraded to 4.56 gears and honestly can't tell much of a difference in lost fuel economy if any at all. It does tow MUCH better hands down than the 3.92 gears.

Hydra, read it all LOL (He's saying he has a small camper now but is thinking on upgrading to around a 6,000# camper sometime)

Originally Posted by 70Cuda4Speed
I do tow a small camping trailer, and I've been considering upgrading that to something around 6000 pounds.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:59 PM
70Cuda4Speed
Amateur

Also, how much towing of that trailer do you expect to be doing if you do get it? I just upgraded to 4.56 gears and honestly can't tell much of a difference in lost fuel economy if any at all. It does tow MUCH better hands down than the 3.92 gears.

Hydra, read it all LOL (He's saying he has a small camper now but is thinking on upgrading to around a 6,000# camper sometime)
That's right--I've been thinking of a larger travel trailer, maybe something about 26 ft and 6000 pounds or so.

We do two or three serious trips a year, lasting maybe two weeks, traveling maybe 2000 miles, which might include a couple of times going up and over mountain passes. Is this what you were wondering?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Have people actually been having problems with those soft plugs? (I've actually never had any start to leak--ever. Maybe I've been lucky)

Old 05-06-2011, 04:08 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

One thing I can tell you from experience! Before you sign the papers on the trailer MAKE them take your potential trailer over and get a actuall weight on a scale at the local truck stop!

They have a sticker inside that tells you the GVWR, but i think they are flawed! I weighed mine and it came out about 7,500 lbs when the GVWR sticker said it was only 5,400 lbs empty! Buyer be aware!

2000 miles is a long way. If it were me I would buy a "Lite travel trailer" http://www.google.com/search?q=Lite%...=hp&channel=np and there you will be down in the range you want and also relieve the extra weight, it will be better for you and better on your truck.

Quick Reply: Tranny coming out - suggestions?