1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Found This in My Diff

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 01:43 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pic Hydra the clip didnt look that big

98slt4me how does the ring gear look are there any cracks,chips,or teeth missing

Old 05-07-2011, 02:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well technically you are right, the clip does slide in the carrier, but only after removal of the clutch packs. The main reason the clip is even there is because it's hardened steel and as the clutch packs tabs slam forward they don't cut through the carrier. In the Original Posters photo it appears that the outside clasp of it broke off.

The design of it was really bad.....IMHO......The funny thing is those clasp ends are not under any pressure, if they are you have the bevel spring in backwards.

The funny thing is, the clips usually flip out then gets caught in the gearing causing catastrophic failure. And if that don't get it then the clutch pack tabs slam into the carrier and it isn't hardened steal like stated ^^^^ up there. So then the tabs cut through the softer alloy of the carrier therefore ruining the carrier. If this happens you have to replace the carrier because the clips will never be able to mount inside the valley because now it will just flip out again (no edge to hold it back).

Now it is easy to just replace the clutch packs if you know what your doing and have the special tools and know how. I would say a shop might do it for you for around $300-$400 bucks. A full rebuild would be around $900-$1000 or so.

How long do I have before the diff blows up?
Well I don't know, but now the clasp has broken off a clutch has the ability to slip out, however it would only be one (on the front side). But if it was the back side clasp then the clip can fully come out and make you have a very expensive and very bad day! When a catastrophic failure occures like a clip in the gears or slipping clutch disks you have to replace the Carrier, Ring and Pinion, all bearings, Master Kit, and possibly the axle housing breaking in half! If this happens your probably better off replacing the entire rear end from a junker!

Old 05-07-2011, 08:44 PM
98SLT4ME

Time to sell!

Just kidding, I wouldn't do that.

This sucks though. It is a little disconcerting knowing that I am driving around with a time bomb differential. I may have to take on this task myself. All well, it will give me the opportunity to learn more about cars, which is always good.

Thank you for the help hydra!

Topdog, the gears looked great! At least the side that was facing me did. About a year ago I did have some problems with the truck not wanting to take off in first, like it was locking up. Then it mysteriously went away. I wonder if this has anything to do with it. I was contributing that to the tranny though.

Last edited by 98SLT4ME; 05-07-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:42 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Like I said, if you need help I can walk you through it. You can PM me and we can talk on or off the forum.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:42 AM
BlueMountainMike
Amateur

I took apart my 9.25 diff (2002 Ram 1500) and found the same thing.... took apart the carrier and inspected the clutch packs... they look ok... and no damage to any of the gears it seems. Question in my mind is.... what purpose do those clips serve? The notches in the carrier and the pressure of the axel gears would hold them in place wouldn't it? I'm about to put this thing back together and am considering not replacing the clips. Anyone know how that will play out?

Old 10-07-2011, 12:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That is definitely what is commonly referred to as the dreaded "C-Clip", yank 'em all out! Will not adversely effect the operation of the LSD. Them damn things have shredded more differentials...

Old 10-07-2011, 01:16 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Those clips are maintain pressure on the LSD clutches. If they come apart, you may get some chatting when making turns or you will not have LSD operations. What need to do now is either remove all the clips or repair the diff. Because if you don't, will be replace the complete rear diff assy. Because those clips will tear up the rear side bearing cup caps.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:54 PM
BlueMountainMike
Amateur

Thanks for replying guys. I think I will put er all back together minus those clips and see what happens. What's a good test to see if I have LSD operations?

Old 10-07-2011, 05:36 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

jack up the rear end and rotate the tires by hand, if they spin in the same direction lsd is good, if they rotate in opposite direction then lsd is bad.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:40 PM
BlueMountainMike
Amateur

Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Found This in My Diff