1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

A/C doesn't seem to be blowing hard

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 04:53 PM
vox87
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C doesn't seem to be blowing hard

It could be me, but it doesn't seem the A/C is blowing as hard as it should.

Posted issue over in the "Common A/C issues" thread. Also, did a search on the forums, but didn't see anything that was identical to my issue.

Just recently replaced the compressor and the drier (accumulator). After about a couple of weeks of driving it, I don't think the A/C is blowing as hard as it should. The air is cold, but it doesn't seem like the vents are really blasting the air. If I crank it down to the lowest speed, I can barely feel the air. I mean I can hardly tell, if its running.

I was going to take it back down to the mechanic, but if there's something I can check and do myself, it would be easier on me versus dropping it off again.

Also, noticed my needle was sneaking over past the halfway point (on the hot side), today. Not sure, if these two issues coincide or not. It's not running hot, just never seen the needle between the center and 3/4, when idling. (electric fan was replaced last year and it's running).

As pointed out in one thread, I checked the "A/C condenser coil"....but, to me it looks fine. Typical bugs..here and there. Then again, I guess there can be things in between or behind that I can't see.

Appreciate the help. Thanks!!

Old 05-08-2011, 04:58 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Unfortunately it sounds to me like a blower issue. Check in the DIY section to check the resistor first and hopefully it doesn't come down to having to replace the motor.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:28 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i agree, sounds to me like the blower is going out, probably just the resistor

Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 PM
vox87
Amateur

Thanks again for the replies.

Just a follow up.

Not sure what's going on, but let me start from yesterday.

The air has not been really consistently cool since replacing the compressor and the drier. Some days its perfect and others its just cool. It's not warm air, but to me it only feels like 10-15* cooler than the outside temp. So, in no way is it freezing me out at on full blast. If I hold my hand up to the vent, I can feel cool air, but not so much if i hold it further away.

So yesterday, I decided to clean the front grill. Just for peace of mind, clean around the condenser coil. Got out all the bugs and rocks. Even decided to pull the resistor pack, just to see, if there were any obvious issues....like others have had (burnt wires..etc..).

Everything looked good, even wiped it down with some alcohol. Started the Durango up and the air was nice and crisp. I probably let idle for 15 mins and it kept a nice consistent cool temp. It was probably around 80-85* outside.

For kicks, I grabbed a simple BBQ meat thermometer and stuck it in the vent. Got down to about 58-60*. Figured that was about right, while idling....just needed it to blow harder.

This morning...went over to the dealership and picked up the resistor pack finally (04885635AC, new part 05061575AA...$10). Air was blowing cool on the way there and to the office. Got to the office, swapped out the pack and their was a big difference in the air levels. "Low" no longer felt like "off", and "high" was pushing air beyond the steering wheel.

Didn't really let it sit there. Just tested it to see, if it worked.

Later at lunch, I took it for a spin and while it blew hard, it never really blew cold. It wasn't hot/warm air, but it wasn't cold either. Again, like maybe 5-10* cooler than outside temps.

Pulled over and put the old pack back in. Air got cooler, probably 10-15* (like before), but never cool, like it was yesterday when it was idling after the wash.

I didn't think the resistor pack would have anything to do with the temp. From what I gathered, it just controlled the blower speeds.

Somethings not right..or consistent. Expansion valve or blend door may be causing additional issues?

Last edited by vox87; 05-23-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:26 PM
vox87
Amateur

Sitting here searching through the forums...curious if my condenser is the issue?

Now I understand, why the air was so nice and cool after spraying the condenser down (per this thread, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...g-me-nuts.html).

Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 AM
selkov
Rookie

The lower fan speed will allow the air to reach colder temps as it stays in the Cold Zone longer. At higher fan speeds it is less efficient. Further as you just balanced the Freon PSI in the system and it was balanced at the lower air speed it is wrong. I would replace with the new kit and then have the system re balanced.

Quick Reply: A/C doesn't seem to be blowing hard