1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Chivas1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem

I just bought a 99 Dodge Durango SLT 2wd & have the following issue:

1) Transmissmion shifts fine when cold but it seems like it struggles to shift from 1st to 2nd when hot.

I recenlty got a check engine light & got code p1757. Can anyone help, I want to know what the best steps to take to try & get this problem fixed.

thanks in advance

Old 04-12-2011, 06:07 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

P1757-GOV PRESS ABOVE 3 PSI IN GEAR WITH 0 MPH

I'd start by dropping the transmission pan and checking the fluid for burning or debris in the pan. If theres debris you got problems. It could be a bunch of different things but I'd say start with the Governor Pressure Sensor and Slenoid and check the Valve Body.

Has it had a transmission flush or wrong fluid put in the pan? If so there's likely internal damage to the transmission that will require a re-build.

This code is the reason you have weird shifting from first to second because the Governor controls shifting.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 Widow

Old 04-12-2011, 11:44 PM
rhillman75
Rookie

As said above! I recently went through everything on my 4x4 01 SLT. Did a pan drop, filter, fluid exchange. I even had a friend try to adjust the bands even though we found metal in the pan. Keep posting what you find and get some help here! I was at my wits end and then realized it was beyond my ability to fix it right. Just know your limits on theses D's when they get a certain age and mileage! I ended up with a new tranny with a full warranty for $1800.00! I'm glad my tranny issues are OVER!

Old 04-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Chivas1

I checked the Transmission Fluid & it was foamy w/bubbles but looked clean. Would that show anything??

Old 04-14-2011, 01:19 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

If it was foamy with bubbles that would mean there is air getting into the fluid so that means the fluid is either too low or too high. How was the level of the fluid?

Your best bet is going to be to drop the pan, replace the filter and purge all the fluid out, and replace with 10 quarts of ATF +4. Doesn't matter what brand just ATF +4 on the label is all you want.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Chivas1

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
If it was foamy with bubbles that would mean there is air getting into the fluid so that means the fluid is either too low or too high. How was the level of the fluid?

Your best bet is going to be to drop the pan, replace the filter and purge all the fluid out, and replace with 10 quarts of ATF +4. Doesn't matter what brand just ATF +4 on the label is all you want.

The fluid was level covers the letters after the measuring rectangle on the dip stick. Does having too much fluid cause shifting problems? I will check the fluid level again today. If its too high can i just take out some of it or do i need to remove the whole pan to do this?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:11 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Theres not really an easy way to take just a little bit out of the pan. If there's too much on there I'd probably just loosen all the bolts and undo a couple of the bolts on the pan and kind of knock it around and get some fluid to spill out.

Too much fluid can cause all sorts of problems so I'd start here and hope to God that is all that's wrong with it.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chivas1
The fluid was level covers the letters after the measuring rectangle on the dip stick. Does having too much fluid cause shifting problems? I will check the fluid level again today. If its too high can i just take out some of it or do i need to remove the whole pan to do this?
Are you sure you know how to properly check the fluid? There is a specific way to do it so I have to ask.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Chivas1

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Are you sure you know how to properly check the fluid? There is a specific way to do it so I have to ask.
I let it warm up, with parking break on & foot on brake went through all gears twice & then went to check it about 5 times. The fluid was foamy with bubbles on it & it reached past the letters on the dipstick.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem