1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Electrical issue with no clue where to start looking

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 02:25 AM
SumAmerican
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issue with no clue where to start looking

I have an electrical issue that has been on going for about a year and a half now. The dashboard lights like to flicker.. especially the lights on the temp controls.. This has normally just happened if i've had the heat blowing out the dashboard vents but recently it has started to affect more things.. the cab light is starting to dim and flicker as well.. this will only do this if the truck isn't running yet.. I walked up to the truck this evening and the temp control cluster was lit up. the security system was engaged (stock) and they key fob was not unlocking the truck.. Its becoming an issue i need to fix but i also need to find a place to start looking.. It seems like a loose ground but does anyone know where the dash get grounded out??

a separate issue that may also be the cause is that the A/C system doesn't drip water like it should.. i could never find the darn drain tube to make sure it wasn't obstructed.. i've previously dismissed this due to the fact that the dash would only have issues when the heat is turned on..

any ideas where to start??

Old 05-17-2011, 10:32 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

if your key fob isnt working and the lights are going on and off on their own it sounds to me like your CTM is shot, be sure to take the keys with you to the dealer to get the fobs programmed, this unit also controls the security system iirc and all the electronics. If you are really cheap you could try reseating all the connectors on the CTM first, but i dont expect that the solve the problem.

the a/c system is probably just a clogged drain and if i were you id make an effort to locate and unclog it before you get mold and other gross smells filling the cab.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I does sound like a CTM.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:45 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

last night was the first time the fob didn't work.. I think it may be something in the dash.. what does the CTM have authority over?? any wiring diagrams available??

Old 05-17-2011, 08:20 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

ctm has authority over everything electrical in the vehicle, check the FAQ thread, there should be download for a 98 durango service manual, it should be in there.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:38 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

CTM ended up not being the issue. It was a bad ground under the passenger side kick panel. Thanks for the help though, wouldnt have found it where I was checking..

Old 02-12-2012, 08:06 PM
JSavinoJr
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm having a similar issue. Mine is my brake lights will randomly come on when the car is not running. They are not always bright but dim. It drains my battery every night. Ive resorted to putting a switch on the battery to turn off all power to the truck. Any idea where i should start looking?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:03 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Replace the brake switch under the dash. Quarter turn and lift up and off and disconnect.

Quick Reply: Electrical issue with no clue where to start looking