Its leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Compactc9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its leaking...

We have a leak!

Well, I knew the truck had a slight driver's side exhaust leak, not something I was too worried about, as its an easy fix and not really hurting anything, but this morning as I was starting it up in the garage, the truck was making a sort of squishing, squirting, squeaking noise I'd never heard before. I didn't think too much about it, until I drove a few blocks and it got worse. I pulled over and opened up the hood to find an oily mess, all the pulleys and belt were covered, as well as the drivers side of the engine compartment and engine. It looked to me like power steering fluid, and there's this little radiator deal right up in the middle of the mess on the power steering line thats covered in the stuff, it almost looks like this might be leaking. When I bought the truck, the guy said he had a power steering leak, and had to have the sensor on the line right up in that area as well replaced. I guess what I'm wondering, what usually leaks on these things and sprays crap all over that area? I'm pretty well convinced its the power steering. And like my profile says, this is a 2000 Durango 4x4 with the 4.7L engine. I'm planning on working on this with my dad who is a mechanic, so I know we can fix it, I'm mainly just looking for suggestions on what to look at, and anything else I should think about replacing as we work on it to keep this from happening again anytime soon.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM
MN_DeeDee
Amateur

I cannot answer your question about what to look for. Just a reminder that P/S fluid removes paint. So please do make sure you clean up in there and prime and paint wherever you are down to bare metal

Old 05-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Compactc9
Veteran

So far I don't believe it got on any painted surfaces, but I'll definitely give that a closer look just to be sure. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Compactc9
Veteran

Well, I got home and took a closer look. I think its my pump, the odd noise I head is coming from the pump, and basically all the sprayed fluid I'm seeing is coming off of the P/S pump belt pulley (the belt could use a replacing too, but thats kinda beside the point) and there is a ton of spray on the P/S fluid bottle on the pulley side of it, and the front of the pump is covered in the stuff as well.

Would it be a good idea to replace the hoses while I have the pump out?

Old 05-26-2011, 04:28 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yes, i would replace the hoses while i was in there just to save the aggravation of having to do it a 2nd time.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 AM
samnbensdad
Captain

Shrps... Are these p/s systems as specific with fluid requirements as our transmissions? ATF+4???

Old 05-27-2011, 10:17 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yup make sure you use the correct fluid, there are two options, older trucks used a mopar PS fluid which can only be found at the dealer, and the newer ones use ATF +4, i would make sure i put the right fluid in, not to mention ATF+4 doesnt mix well with other fluids and you will never get all the fluid out of the system

Old 05-27-2011, 02:17 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1

Sense you have a 2000 you could have one of 2 different types.

1. Rack and pinion
2. Steering box

If you have rack and pinion then ATF+4 will work, but if you have a steering box you possibly could have a special fluid known as "Brown" PS fluid as they did use both in the steering box. Only a dealer can tell you for sure (using your vin number) if you have Brown or not, but I think they pulled it out of use in 1999. THe only place you can get Brown fluid is at the dealer.

BTW<--- Look to see what is low on fluid to help you figure out what is leaking......LOL

Old 05-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Compactc9
Veteran

I do have the steering box, so I guess I'll have to check that out. I did check the fluid too and it is low, but it looks like it was leaking in the bearing area and spraying on the back of the belt pulley and then that was spraying it everywhere. As far as the fluid goes, I was planning on changing all of it when I changed the pump, if it has the "Brown" stuff in it am I stuck using it, or if I drain all the old stuff out can I put something else in it? And is it best to use the trans. fluid over regular PS fluid?

Old 05-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Compactc9
Veteran

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
yup make sure you use the correct fluid, there are two options, older trucks used a mopar PS fluid which can only be found at the dealer, and the newer ones use ATF +4, i would make sure i put the right fluid in, not to mention ATF+4 doesnt mix well with other fluids and you will never get all the fluid out of the system
Ok, this answers part of my other questions. I guess I'll have to ask a dealer what I should use.

Quick Reply: Its leaking...