1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 5.9 a/c clutch locked up

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:47 PM
bigabow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 5.9 a/c clutch locked up

Updated below ...............I purchased this Durango about 2 months ago. It was in an accident and had NO Cond coil & bottom front skirt. everything else worked fine on the vehicle so I purchase it and began the repairs. I picked up a Cond coil, pulled a vacuum on the A/C system, charged the A/C. and it worked really well for about three weeks.
It got rally hot here in Ga one day and I was sitting in traffic and the A/C quit cooling and made an awfull smell. so I shut down the a/c in the car, and rode home with the windows down. about 2 days later I tried the a/c again and it seemed to be working well with the exception on a cluncking or grinding in the a/c compressor or clutch, but then it quit as fast as it started.
drove from Ga to Ms last week and it did fine going, but on the way home we stopped in AL, and sat at the drive though to long I guess. That aweful smell came back and the a/c refused to work after that. yesterday out working I was almost home(1/2 mile) when the grinding and thunkin' started the belt squeeled , smoked and broke. Got home and the Belt poped and broke because the a/c clutch is froze.
I checked the fuses and one was blown(the wife is out picking up a belt and fuse while running errands)
My question is... do i have to install a new clutch or a hole new clutch and compressor?
More basic info: there was a black carbon type dust all over it. Thanks in advance for the assistance

UPDATE#1; I got the compressor changed the vacuum pulled. shot as much of the old refrigerant as I could back in and then shot about 6 oz of a new can in and it will not take any more. the clutch is not kicking in and the secondary fan I just noticed does not come on. now the secondary fan may have never even worked. but before the old unit locked up the a/c worked fine. the gauge with the can shows in the red at 65 lbs.
I will download some pics later today. ...I also did not change the dryer because I did not know where it is. I am just a parts changer not a mechanic

FINAL UPDATE!
The A/C is back up and cooling!
Here is what I did to get the system back up and running.
1) Installed the new Copressor
2) pulled the vacuum on the system
3) shot some 134a into the system but it never "kicked in"- (I figured out that the system needed 134a OIL.)
4) added the proper amount of oil to the system
5) replaced the horn and a/c fuse that was blown
6) completed the a/c charge and she is cooling like a dream again.

Last edited by bigabow; 07-04-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-03-2011, 03:16 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

with it not having a air conditioner coil where the lines plugged to keep dirt out also does the a/c pulley still spin if it doesnt you need a new compressor

Old 06-03-2011, 03:48 PM
bigabow

[QUOTE-TOPDOGCUSTOMS]
[with it not having a air conditioner coil where the lines plugged to keep dirt out also does the a/c pulley still spin if it doesnt you need a new compressor]

The holes for the lines were not plugged.The part the belt rides is on locked. the center portion will turn with channel lock plyers, but it seems to be a lil' hard to turn and as you can see in the picture one of the gromets is missing on one of the three (*****,bolts or what ever they are is missing)

Thanks again for any input.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 5.9 a/c clutch locked up-ac-pulley.jpg   2000 5.9 a/c clutch locked up-ac-pulley-2.jpg  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:58 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

time for a new compressor!!!!! the belt isn't going to do any good if the compressor pulley is locked sound like you lost the bearing and with the system being open im sure dirt and moisture got in there

Old 06-03-2011, 05:41 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

You either need to get a new compressor or a bypass pulley with a bracket to take the place of your compressor. There is no place that I've heard of that you are able to buy just the compressor, and for now a bypass pulley bracket is what is under my hood where the compressor goes!

Old 06-04-2011, 01:14 AM
bigabow

last Question, the replacement is at about $230 for Re-man, and $280 new, and i can pick up a "used" one for $80. i am afraid to put a used one on for fear of the same result. do you guys know if these are bad about going out?

Thanks again.........

Old 06-04-2011, 02:35 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

I would buy new

Old 06-04-2011, 02:44 PM
neilb
Professional

Go for a new one if you can afford it, used is a pig in a poke, you may get lucky, you may not, and for the price of a re-man, well you may as well buy new if its good quality. Lots of hassle getting your air sorted out, ya may as well pay for the best you can afford imo.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:42 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bigabow
last Question, the replacement is at about $230 for Re-man, and $280 new, and i can pick up a "used" one for $80. i am afraid to put a used one on for fear of the same result. do you guys know if these are bad about going out?

Thanks again.........
Honestly, with a re-manufactured as long as it comes with a warranty is going to be good both financially and for long term. A remanned compressor is basically where they put a net clutch and assembly in a used compressor housing that gets cleaned inside and out.

If you can afford it, a new is going to be your best bet because overall it is brand new OEM unit and if it's OEM it will have a MOPAR warranty which is good for 2 years or 24,000 miles!

I would stay far away from a used one simply because you don't know what the condition is inside and it's likely it has been sitting for a little while and might have some decay or contaminant on the inside.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:51 PM
bigabow

Thanks a Million Folks, I went with the re-man, The store just called to say it was in.....

Quick Reply: 2000 5.9 a/c clutch locked up